Malala Yousafzai: A Hero of Heart

by Anna Blair Huie from Charlotte, NC

A hero: a human of strength, special abilities, and a will to save. Superman has x-ray vision, the Flash has super speed, and Malala Yousafzai has a dream to pursue. A hero is not often thought of as a refugee who was shot by the Taliban or an immigrant who struggles with the fact of going to school, but heroism is more than the clichéd thought of a happy ending. Although she does not capture villains or have a secret underground lair, her heartful, heroic acts have led her to a happy ending in her own eyes-- helping innocent girls who want to learn in Pakistan. Malala Yousafzai is a prime example of a young woman with an internal power to change the fateful future of Pakistan. With her fight for education in her home country, she exemplifies a hero as a devoted assistant to other women and an advocate of justice in her steadfast quest for equality.

Malala Yousafzai illustrates an uncommon hero who achieves goals for not only herself, but positively impacts others with dedication to her work. She represents a defender of fairness with her countless accomplishments that have undoubtedly shaped her character. With her recent release of her non-fiction novel, Yousafzai’s words are traveling to a universal audience outside of her home. Her book, I am Malala, explains her war-like adventure through the never ending combat of education rights-- which she believes could change the future. Yousafzai's undenying personality has developed her novel to become her personal ideas on her fight with, “education for the sons and daughters of the Taliban.” This audacious hero has also been rewarded with the Nobel Peace Prize. She remains loyal with the infinite work that has attended her with her recognition in 2014 for service of fighting for young education. In her speech she states that, “we should respect each other and we should all fight for our rights, for the rights of children, for the rights of women and for the rights of every human being.” Her inspirational words have encouraged many students to want to learn, and many women to want equal rights. Yousafzai’s widespread impact has and forever will be an unbreakable shield for all who struggle for authority over their own battles.

On her search for equal integrity, Malala Yousafzai encountered conflict that she used to promote her to become an unordinary hero. To clarify, she was shot by the wreckful Taliban on her way to school. As she was serenely sitting on the run-down benches of her school bus, two men suspiciously waved down the bus, shuffled in the back, and asked which girl was Malala. After the identification, the gunman, not resisting the trigger, fired three shots-- one going through her left eye socket and out past her left shoulder. She was immediately taken to the hospital after the enemies quickly scurried away. Why would anyone do such an appalling terrorist act? This was Yousafzai’s motivation that powered her through the following events in her life. The later actions in her journey explain how she is a strong powered woman. She still attended school (against the law) in Pakistan, and proceeded to learn with a passion. When a problem came her way, she fought against it with all of her potential. She fought the Taliban through peace, words, and actions. School is Malala’s safe place, despite the terrible shooting, and she always sets high goals to help her accomplish. She views school as a place for learning, which she knows is important and will help her on her adventure on earth. To recap, Yousafzai has demonstrated heroism with her courageous attitude toward learning and remains a compelling role-model for everyone.

Malala Yousafzai has established her name as a common topic for an unique hero in history. She digs past the surface of being a hero, and changes the usual meaning. She portrays a warrior of conflict that stands her ground through tranquility. Yousafzai has also had a great effect on the world as she shows a profound way to win the battle. Yes, she may have been overcoming fear about the conclusion of her struggles, but, “[Her] fear was not as strong as our courage.” Yousafzai conveys that all heroes should have to work for a happy ending, even with sacrifices. Heroes can be found in a jungle of antagonists, a world of conflict, and even a home of happiness-- but genuine heroes use conflict to shape their lives, even when they are not always the first sight of a protagonist.