Malala Yousafzai- The Power Within

by Iris D. from California

130932Malala Yousafzaihttps://www.forbes.com/profile/malala-yousafzai/#7fd041725db9“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself” (Joseph Campbell). Indeed, heroes are people who have sacrificed their own well-being to the contribution of a greater common good. Ranging from the hieroglyphics depicting Egyptian warriors to Greek mythology portraying tales of saviors and even modern day superhero movies, heroism has been forever showcased and embedded throughout the course of human history. As of modern times, the roots of heroism have been shifted into shallow fragments of physical appearance and supernatural powers. Glorified teenagers and celebrities dominate society as the new generation of role models.  However, seeking true heroism begins with searching the buried morals hidden beneath the surface of a person. Noticing the kind acts performed by ordinary people brings a realization that innate goodness can sprout from anyone in any place and time. But what exactly builds the basis for heroism? In my opinion, a universal duo of traits unifies each heroic figure to rise beyond the ordinary and achieve the exceptional. They are selfless in fighting solely for others and expect no personal gain in return, and exemplify resilience by refusing to let adversity control them. In the same sense, a small minority of the human population demonstrates the fullest potential of these traits. They differentiate themselves from the average crowd with the sheer power to create a lasting positive impact on the world.

Malala Yousafzai is a one worthy role model that best displays the epitome of both selflessness and resilience. Born a daughter on July 12, 1997 in the Swat Valley of northern Pakistan, Yousafzai states: “I was a girl in a land where rifles are fired in celebration of a son, while daughters are hidden away behind a curtain, their role in life simply to prepare food and give birth to children. For most Pashtuns it’s a gloomy day when a daughter is born” (Yousafzai 1). On the contrary, Malala Yousafzai’s father was delighted by her arrival and his faith in her played an essential role in inspiring her love for learning and starting her universal movement for education. In a country where women's voices are often ignored, Yousafzai made sure to express her beliefs for equality clearly and confidently. Her activism work leads her to an extraordinary life, as written in her memoir, I am Malala, which stirred the emotions of many readers worldwide.  In acknowledgement of her activism for children’s rights, Malala received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014, and also became recognized as the youngest recipient of such a prestigious award. Alongside with her father, Yousafzai co-founded the Malala Fund, an organization that invests in encouraging free quality education for girls globally.  Currently enrolled in Oxford College, Yousafzai hopes to finish school before fully devoting herself to her passion. True heroes dedicate themselves to the fundamentals of improving humanity and will stop at nothing until they achieve their objective. As the voice of justice in a misogynistic society, Malala Yousafzai is a selfless and resilient young hero in her extraordinary efforts and accomplishments  to pursue her goal as a true advocate for children’s educational rights.

130930Malala Yousafzaihttps://www.amazon.com/Am-Malala-Stood-Education-Taliban/dp/0316322407Yousafzai selflessly sacrifices her personal safety to ensure the well being of others in need. Growing up, Yousafzai’s rare privilege of education helped her develop a strong sense of empathy toward the children in her neighborhood who could not afford such privilege, and to this day, Yousafzai continues to devote her time wholeheartedly toward giving children the right to education:

“As we crossed the Malakand Pass I saw a young girl selling to account for the oranges she has sold, as she could not read or write. I took a photo of her and vowed I would do everything in my power to help educate girls just like her. This was the war I was going to fight” (Yousafzai 217).

It is through noticing the lifestyle of the people around her that emphasizes the importance of receiving an education, and ultimately serves as Yousafzai’s motivation to speak out for girl’s educational rights. Yousafzai’s unconditional care for the well-being of others proves that her true intentions lie in her selfless campaign for spreading education. Although she has already gained global recognition, Yousafzai never stops working tirelessly, knowing that millions of impoverished children worldwide still suffer from the same hindrance. Combined with her powerful public speaking skills, her passionate belief helps her gain support to further her cause:

“‘The more interviews I gave, the stronger I felt and the more support we received… If I am speaking for my rights, for the rights of girls, I am not doing anything wrong. It’s my duty to do so’”( Yousafzai 141).

Yousafzai takes every opportunity to spread awareness about her fight for education and the injustices children have been burdened with. She has given multiple speeches and attended numerous interviews to further broadcast her beliefs, bringing awareness to the world. In revealing herself to the public eye while expressing an unpopular opinion in her country, she has also positioned herself in danger’s path. However, knowing that many others will suffer in her place if she doesn’t take proactive actions, Yousafzai willingly accepts struggles to move one step closer to helping those in need. Yousafzai prioritizes the lives of others before her own, and will risk herself at any cost to gain the wish that each and every child will be granted justice and equality. Overall, Yousafzai’s life and decisions are all characterized by her selfless love and concern for others. She used media not as a device to seek attention and gain fame but rather as a platform to openly discuss her beliefs and amplify her campaign globally. Yousafzai always puts the needs of others before herself so that she can speak for every child hidden in the shadows of inequality and injustice, and she will stop at nothing to push her goal to success. Conveyed through her activism for children’s educational rights, Malala Yousafzai clearly depicts the selfless nature of a true hero.

130931Malala Yousafzaihttps://news.wisc.edu/go-big-read-brings-malala-fund-co-founder-to-campus/Yousafzai received much criticism and hate for her beliefs, but continued her campaigns regardless, proving her resiliency. Fearing that she would grow too powerful, the Taliban, tried to shoot at her and take her life. Luckily, Yousafzai survived the shooting and continued her activism:

“‘I have already seen death, and I know that death is supporting me in my cause of

education. Death does not want to kill me. Before this attack, I might have been a little bit

afraid how death would be. Now I'm not because I have experienced it. So they cannot

make me stop to continue my campaign’” (42).

However, it is not her miraculous recovery that makes her outstanding, it is her overcoming of previous fear and utilizing it to boost her advocacy that makes her resilience remarkable. Throughout her journey, Yousafzai was constantly threatened by her homeland because she continued to spread ‘western beliefs’. Although this may be extremely detrimental and discouraging to her self-image, the hate did not affect her negatively nor did it change her character. She remained passionate about her campaign and continued her activism work. She accepted that some people will always oppose her but did not let that shake her foundations in making the world a better place. Yousafzai’s resilience lies in her ability to gaze directly into the future full of certainty and face difficulties with an open mindset. Yousafzai is never disheartened in her mission; she always persists to prevail over any difficulties. Moreover, Malala Yousafzai’s unwavering hope for a better future inspires others to promote goodness:

“‘Peace in every home, every street, every village, every country--this is my dream.

Educations for every boy and girl in the world. To sit down on a chair and read my books

with all my friends at school is my right. To see each and every human being with a smile

of happiness is my wish. I am Malala. My world has changed but I have not.’”(Yousafzai

313).

Although the obstacles Yousafzai faced have changed the lifestyle she lives now, Malala still maintains all the same principles, values, and goals that she started in her initial journey. She acknowledges the hardships that have molded her character but does not disregard her original identity. Yousafzai’s resilience is not a blatant invincible mentality, but it is her indomitable will to strive beyond the seemingly impossible to encourage equality in children’s rights that fuels her compassion to expand her message, despite any negative circumstances. She is not easily intimidated by uncertainty and always remains true to herself.  In the midst of any challenges, Malala Yousafzai’s ability to adapt and cope with high stress and still seek a brighter future demonstrates her strong sense of resilience.

130933Malala Yousafzaihttps://abcnews.go.com/International/assassination-survivor-now-nobel-winner-malala-yousafzai-turns/story?id=56495083In Malala Yousafzai’s selfless struggle to earn equal educational rights for girls and irrepressible attitude toward conquering adversity, she has been rightfully entitled as a truly exceptional heroic figure. Her activism work reveals her genuine concern and consideration for all children deprived of basic human rights, and her unbreakable will and potential to become something greater establishes her resilient nature. Her actions and beliefs demonstrate the peak of heroism, and today, Yousafzai is regarded as one of the youngest influential leaders of all time. Her unique and original story of rising beyond adversity to become one of the most influential people in world spreading the cause of education for every child has inspired me to a great extent. As a teenager living in a very safe environment, shielded from the harsh injustices in the world, I fail to realize the privilege of having access to quality education. There are even times when I feel how simply finishing homework before the next day can come close to a near impossible task. For many people, impossibility should be defined as Yousafzai’s incredible journey to become something greater than people ever could imagine, and yet, she stands strong today as a symbol of heroism. When I am reminded of the extraordinary feats Malala Yousafzai bravely battled in order to earn a right most of us take for granted, I am immediately aware of how one girl’s unconcealed passion and determination affected the world so greatly. When I think of Yousafzai, I am motivated by her undeniable hope and dedication to give every child the right of education. Her peaceful nature and powerful words constantly remind everyone, including me, to rethink the current impossibility of our lives; she is proof to people that there are no limits in pursuing your goals, as shown in her approach and efforts in overcoming corruption and arbitrary authority. Even now, Yousafzai does not stop with her campaigns for equal educational rights. Despite her growing popularity, she still takes full responsibility in furthering the cause of education worldwide. Malala Yousafzai is an admirable hero that will forever inspire me to fearlessly face obstacles and help guide others in the process.

130934Malala Yousafzaihttps://www.biography.com/people/malala-yousafzai-21362253Truly outstanding heroes are arduous to find; they are genuinely good people that go above and beyond what is expected of them to achieve extraordinary results and strive to always defend a moral cause without the expectation of a reward in return. They accept dangerous risks along their journeys solely to ensure the safety of others before their own. Each hero represents the aspects of a society, and society as a whole is influenced by the heroes who take effort to contribute in the betterment of humanity. As such, Malala Yousafzai’s indomitable will in the face of adversity and consideration have inspired people all over the world to seek the potential inside them and evolve into someone greater. Her humanitarian efforts will be forever imprinted in the history of mankind and aid the ongoing battle against current prejudices that exist today. As a result, Malala Yousafzai is deserving of her heroic status and will continue to serve as an admirable figure for today and future generations.

Blumberg, Naomi. “Malala Yousafzai.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 14 Dec. 2018, www.britannica.com/biography/Malala-Yousafzai.

Malala Yousafzai – Biographical. NobelPrize.org. Nobel Media AB 2018. Fri. 21 Dec 2018.     <https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace/2014/yousafzai/biographical/

"Malala Yousafzai: A 'Normal,' Yet Powerful Girl." Tell Me More, 15 Oct. 2013. Student Resources In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A346486826/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=cc2c0125. Accessed 31 Dec. 2018

Yousafzai, Malala, and Christina Lamb. I Am Malala the Girl Who Stood up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban. W. Ross MacDonald School Resource Services Library, 2017

Malala Fund - If you want, you can help support the Malala Fund for girl's education!