Mallikarjuna Gorla

by Anand Rao from Bangalore in India

I want to share the inspiring story of Mallikarjuna, a young man who started Sai Educational Rural & Urban Development Society (SERUDS) in Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh in 2003.   SERUDS (Sai Educational Rural & Urban Development Society) is a registered Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in Andhra Pradesh State, India working for the welfare and development of deprived street children, orphans, destitute women, poor old age people and youth in urban slums and villages. 

148236Mallikarjuna Gorlaserudsindia.orgG.Mallikarjuna graduated in Bachelor of Engineering from Vasavi College Of Engineering, Hyderabad. He has been always passionate about social service and started working as a social worker at the young age of 24 years after completing college.

148238Seruds Orphanageserudsindia.org148237SERUDS Old Age Homeserudsindia.org
He and his friends founded Sai Educational Rural & Urban Development Society (SERUDS) in 2003.  SERUDS India [https://serudsindia.org/ ]  has been working since 2003 through its need-based programs focused on access to education, food, livelihood training and healthcare.
For the first few years they used to go to poor communities and conduct health camps, women's health programs, and sponsor children's school fees. They found many children who were orphans or were being raised by single mothers, and did not have access to good nutrition and schooling.
Based on their interactions, Seruds team decided to start an orphanage and an old home.
Today the top causes are SERUDS Orphanage for Children, Daycare Centers for Children, Midday Meal Program for Destitute Elders, Happy Old Age Home for Destitute Elders and Sponsor a Child Program

Andhra Pradesh was devastated by massive floods due to record breaking rains during October 2009. Over 13 lakh people were affected in five districts of Andhra Pradesh following unprecedented floods in Krishna river basin which claimed many lives.  Nearly two lakh people had to be evacuated to relief camps in the worst-affected district Kurnool. All water tanks, reservoir were breached and floods covered the entire district of Kurnool and about 1,70,000 houses collapsed, live stock, food grains and household items were washed away in the gushing water. About 65,000 families in Seruds target area were left only with clothes on their backs, losing all their possessions. SERUDS volunteers helped in rescuing the flood victims from the houses and arranging shelters in local Govt. Schools. Following are some of the relief activities undertaken by Seruds :

•    A team of 16 persons of SERUDS evacuated hundreds of people particularly of women and children, who were caught in flood waters.
•    70 persons were rescued from the floods
•    Provided immediate relief like food packets, water and milk to 700 persons
•    Provided relief material like clothes, blankets, utensils and food stuffs to 7500 flood victim families.
•    Constructed 5 huts to flood victims, whose huts have washed away in recent floods.
•    Educational material and clothes was distributed to 450 school children.

In recognition of its relief work, SERUDS received “Floods – 2009 Seva Award” in June 2010 from the government of the state.

SERUDS started Orphanage in Budhavarapeta, Kurnool in December 2012. Today the Children’s Home shelters 60 boys and girls in the age group of 4 to 16 years. These abandoned orphan, street children come from different family backgrounds like a father who died of AIDS, mother who committed suicide, alcoholic father or a mother who left the children to live with another man, or whose both parents died.  
SERUDS launched Happy Old Age Home in January 2012 for abandoned & destitute women in Kurnool District of Andhra Pradesh. Old Age Home is fully free and funded solely through donations. Home shelters 30 grannies at present. Since 2012, 90 elders have called it their home during the last stage of their lives.

Quality of education in Government and Municipal Schools is poor and deprives students of good career opportunities. Bright children from low income families aspire to a better education and life and wish to join private schools of higher standard. Seruds has been sponsoring selected children with school fee & tuition fees. SERUDS gets approached by many bright students seeking sponsorship of school and tuition fees, but are constrained by lack of resources. Donors can sponsor such needy children and fund their education through school and college.
Seruds started its first child welfare program in 2003 with 10 children living in slums. Today we support 80 children, between the age of 1 year to 6 years, from slums and villages around Kurnool district in three creche or day care centers. These children come from poor families where both parents work as construction or farm laborers. During work day, they are unable to take care of their children. Thanks to Seruds daycare centers, they are able to leave their kids in a safe environment, from morning till evening. The children are provided hot mid-day meals, snacks in evening, and pre-school education. Our trained staff keeps the children engaged in recreational and learning activities.

SERUDS has received numerous Best NGO awards along its journey from the State Government of Andhra Pradesh, National & International Organizations, Voluntary Organizations. Seruds has been empaneled by Letzchange, Samhita, Give2Asia USA, Credibility Alliance, HelpyourNGO, VaniIndia, GuidestarIndia, iCharity.in.

Seruds Facebook Page - Get updates on activities in Seruds NGO

Anand Rao has been helping Seruds India in digital marketing since 2009. He runs Ananya SEO Services, a digital Marketing Agency in Bangalore