Mark Zuckerberg

by Ashley Tran from San Diego , California in United States

"Think about what people are doing on Facebook today. They're keeping up with their friends and family, but they're also building an image and identity for themselves, which in a sense is their brand. They're connecting with the audience that they want to connect to." Mark Zuckerberg 

132489Image Of Mark Zuckerberg Anthony Quintano from Honolulu, HI, United States [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)]“People can be really smart or have skills that are directly applicable, but if they don’t really believe in it, then they are not going to really work hard” (Zuckerberg). Through Zuckerberg’s hard work and devotion, he went from a child interested in technology to a world-renowned billionaire. Along with that, he created an empire with his hard work. Growing up, Zuckerberg was amazed by the science of software. Mark Zuckerberg knew that to proceed in a life surrounded by his interest, he would need to work hard and remain devoted. In 2002, “Zuckerberg enrolled in Harvard and created ‘CourseMatch,’ a site that was used all around the campus to decide which course to enroll in" (“Mark Zuckerberg.” Biography). He also created the game “FaceMash,” which was quickly shut down due to privacy concerns. After FaceMash came to an end, Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, his partners at the time, asked for Zuckerberg’s help regarding a database called “Harvard Connection.” Zuckerberg later abandoned the project to work on his own database, now called Facebook (“Mark Zuckerberg.” Biography). His ideas skyrocketed, which led to billions of dollars donated to charities, scientific research, and his own foundation called The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative ("Mark Zuckerberg." Newsmakers). When it comes to being a hero, there are ongoing lists of traits one can possess, but the most important are selflessness and devotion. Mark Zuckerberg, a self-driven entrepreneur, acts as an inspiration to others, as he has been devoted to his craft and accumulated wealth, which he uses for the good of others and himself.

Zuckerberg’s devotion led him to where he is today. Despite the fallout in 2004 and 2016 involving the Winklevoss twins and the presidential election, Zuckerberg still continued his hard work and rapidly growing career: "Zuckerberg and Facebook faced widespread criticism after the 2016 presidential election when it was discovered that the site had not controlled a large number of fake news posts in the months prior to the election… As a result, the company's stock value fell 19 percent. The decline wiped out more than $15 billion of Zuckerberg's fortune in an instant...Zuckerberg also pledged to give away half of his wealth during his lifetime" ("Mark Zuckerberg." Newsmakers).

132491The Facebook Logo Kentico, Germination Project [CC BY-SA 1.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0)]Zuckerberg’s failures only led him to further success. After the downward spiral in 2016 regarding the elections, he faced a drop of $15 billion in his wealth. He expressed his regrets publicly, which could have led to bigger damages towards his career. Zuckerberg lost a fortune, but he continued to remain devoted to not only himself but to his users. If Zuckerberg was not self-driven and devoted, he would not have a strong standing empire today: “Mark Zuckerberg is the co-founder and CEO of the social-networking website Facebook, as well as one of the world's youngest billionaires...We will give 99% of our Facebook shares — currently about $45 billion — during our lives to join many others in improving this world for the next generation" (“Mark Zuckerberg.” Biography). Mark Zuckerberg's devotion led him to great accomplishments. His wealth was not only a token of success but a solution to several charitable causes. His devotion led to a self-made billion-dollar platform, which did not just benefit him, but also others along the process.

Zuckerberg’s success and wealth provided for people in need. His passion for technology led him to be one of the most selfless and successful men in the world. Although he had dropped out of Harvard in the spring of 2004, he still managed to create a widely known corporation through his passion for Facebook. Along with that, Zuckerberg used an immense amount of money earned from Facebook towards charities, scientific research, and the generations following him: "In September 2016, Zuckerberg and his wife established the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative...Zuckerberg donated some of his gains to charitable causes, including $75 million to a San Francisco hospital in February of 2015...On May 1, 2012, Facebook added a new feature that allowed its users to register to become organ donors, increasing the number of organ donors throughout the United States" ("Mark Zuckerberg." Newsmakers).

132492Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan Presidencia de la República Mexicana [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)]As Zuckerberg's wealth continued to grow, his willingness to give back to others increased. The luxurious lifestyle he is now living gave him the chance to begin greater things, such as the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, and the opportunity to give back to others less fortunate. He could have used his money for his own needs, but chose to give back instead. As Zuckerberg’s empire proceeded to grow, more problems occurred. His former partners and fellow classmates, Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, had filed a lawsuit with an immense price. This held the company at risk: “The Winklevoss Twins and Narendra filed a lawsuit against Zuckerberg and Facebook claiming that he had stolen their concept and prevented them from launching their own site. After six years in court, a settlement finally was reached, purported to be approximately sixty-five million dollars. The Winklevosses and Narendra also filed another suit saying they were misled in regards to their stock shares” ("Mark Zuckerberg" Computer Sciences). Although Zuckerberg hit a bump in the road with this vast lawsuit filed against him, he still maintained confidence in his business. The lawsuit dragged out for approximately six years total, which eventually led to Zuckerberg stepping down and paying the cost for him and his fellow teammates. Zuckerberg did not just sacrifice sixty-five million dollars for the company and its users, but himself and his family. Zuckerberg’s successful uprise lead to great fortune for not only himself but for the giving of others.

Mark Zuckerberg is a hero to others all around the world. He created a way for people to connect with each other and has revolutionized the way we communicate now. Despite all the downward spirals that occurred in the process leading to his success, he continued to be devoted and selfless to others. Mark Zuckerberg is an inspiration because he believed his own work, was never put down by competitors, and dreamed big. This allowed him to become one of the most successful people in the world: “Not too many people would dare to believe that a project they had started in their college dorm room would end up becoming a worldwide phenomenon” (Brown). Zuckerberg’s devotion and selflessness makes him become one of the most inspirational heroes in this generation.

Work Cited

Brown, Joel. "7 Reasons Why Mark Zuckerberg Is A Super Successful Billionaire." Addicted 2 Success. 08 Aug. 2013. 04 Apr. 2019 .

“Mark Zuckerberg.” Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 9 Feb. 2019, www.biography.com/people/mark-zuckerberg-507402.

"Mark Zuckerberg." Encyclopedia of World Biography, vol. 33, Gale, 2013. Student Resources In Context,https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631010029/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=73f7dcd4. Accessed 27 Mar. 2019.

"Mark Zuckerberg." Computer Sciences, edited by K. Lee Lerner and Brenda Wilmoth Lerner, 2nd ed., Macmillan Reference USA, 2013. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2642210034/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=2a805bbf. Accessed 25 Mar. 2019.

"Mark Zuckerberg." Newsmakers, vol. 2, Gale, 2008. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1618004701/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=90c15c49. Accessed 25 Mar. 2019.

"Mark Zuckerberg." Gale Student Resources in Context, Gale, 2018. Student Resources In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/LEWBRT014062923/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=926a8346. Accessed 25 Mar. 2019.