Tracy McGrady

by Jeff from Wallingford

T-Mac  (NBA.com)
T-Mac (NBA.com)

When you hear Tracy Mcgrady you think, excellent dunker, defensive stopper, and great from beyond the arc. But you wouldn't think that he'd make a sacrifice for the good will of others would you? At 6' 8'' and 223 pounds, with an outstanding 22 points per game, he's quite the baller. He's a hero to me in many ways. Not only in basketball, but a hero to many people whose house was destroyed during the horrific hurricane Katrina.

McGrady going up for a dunk (NBA.com)
McGrady going up for a dunk (NBA.com)

Tracy McGrady was traded from the Orlando Magic to the Houston Rockets, along with other players, such as Steve Francis. The GM was very exicted to obtain the Allstar T-Mac. He has saved many games for the Rockets, including his famous 20 points in 30 seconds, to win the game. If thats not enough, he averages over 5 rebounds a game, over 22 points a game, and even to show he's a team player, 6 assists a game. But enough about his skills, how about his family?

Tracy Lamar McGrady was born in Bartow, Florida in 1979. He's married to Cleranda McGrady and has a daughter Layla Clarice, and a son Laymen Lamar. At 28 year old, Tracy has an impresive career ahead of him. His family extends to the NBA with his cousin, on the New Jersey Nets, Vince Carter. So dunking runs in his blood. He attended Mt. Zion Christian Academy High School and when he left for the pros he donated $300,000 to the school.

Ballin' (NBA.com)
Ballin' (NBA.com)

T-Mac was given the title, "Good Guy in Basketball". He obtained this for many reasons. He donated money to his high school. Tracy also donated sums of money to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. He's been taking classes on Leadership since 1997 and let me tell you personally, he doesn't need the classes to be a great leader. Recognized for his tremendous efforts in the Central Florida community with the 2003 Rich and Helen DeVos Community Enrichment Award. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tracy_mcgrady/bio.html. To obtain the role of Good Guy in Basketball, you must show tremendous character and great responsibility.

T-Mac is just to top it all off a great all around guy. He's your average hero. Except that he's an insane ball player and makes millions of dollars a year. He donates money, is focused on being a leader and puts others in front of him, and, at times, sacrifices. That makes him a hero.

Here are some stats off of NBA.com: 37 games, 37 games started, 35.7 Minutes per game, .445 FG%, .332 3PT %, .685 FT %, 0.8 Offensive Rebounds per game, 4.6 Defensive rebounds per game, 5.4 Rebounds per game, 6.3 Assists per game, 1.1 Steals per game, 0.5 Blocks per game, 3.11 Turnovers per game, 23.7 Points per game

My Hero, T-Mac not only is a great ball player, but helps by donating his huge salary. The Houston Rocket's guard shows other NBA players that you can play well and still have a heart.