Medea Benjamin

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

Medea Benjamin, co-founder of the anti-war group CODEPINK and a prominent voice for peace and social justice, has been a leading figure in activism for decades. Known for her bold protests, passionate speeches, and unwavering commitment to challenging U.S. foreign policy, Benjamin has consistently positioned herself at the forefront of movements advocating for peace, human rights, and economic justice. Her work has spanned from opposing military interventions in the Middle East to supporting workers' rights, climate action, and policies addressing inequality.

Born as Susan Benjamin on September 10, 1952, in Freeport, New York, she adopted the name "Medea" after the mythological Greek sorceress, perhaps hinting at her future role as a forceful disruptor of the status quo. Raised in a middle-class Jewish family, Benjamin’s political consciousness was shaped by the civil rights movement, the Vietnam War, and other social justice causes in the 1960s and 1970s. She pursued a degree in public health, studying at Tufts University and Columbia University, which helped her develop a global perspective on inequality and health disparities.

Her first direct experience in international activism came when she worked as an economist and nutritionist in Latin America and Africa. Witnessing poverty and oppression in developing nations pushed her toward activism. She was especially moved by the U.S. government's support of authoritarian regimes in the Global South, spurring her determination to oppose U.S. foreign interventions.

169565Medea BenjaminWikiCODEPINK: Women for Peace

Benjamin co-founded CODEPINK in 2002 in response to the U.S. government's plans to invade Iraq after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The organization is a women-led grassroots movement committed to opposing U.S. military aggression and advocating for diplomatic solutions over war. The group takes its name from the Department of Homeland Security’s "color-coded" terror alerts that dominated post-9/11 America; instead of the warmongering “code red,” Benjamin and her allies called for a "code pink"—a focus on peace, diplomacy, and reconciliation.

Under her leadership, CODEPINK became known for its creative, often disruptive, demonstrations aimed at government officials and institutions. Dressed in pink, Benjamin and fellow activists have interrupted congressional hearings, confronted politicians, and held protests at key international summits. While these tactics have sometimes led to arrests, they have brought significant media attention to anti-war and human rights causes.

Although CODEPINK is perhaps her most famous project, Benjamin’s activism extends beyond the anti-war movement. Over the years, she has been a vocal critic of U.S. policies in the Middle East, particularly in regard to Israel's treatment of Palestinians. She has actively worked to support the Palestinian cause, calling for an end to U.S. military aid to Israel and advocating for Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) campaigns to pressure Israel to comply with international law.

Benjamin is also deeply involved in environmental and economic justice activism. She has campaigned for stronger climate policies, calling attention to the intersection of environmental degradation and war, as well as the corporate influence on government decisions. Her critiques of corporate power are particularly evident in her stance against military contractors and her broader opposition to U.S. capitalism’s role in perpetuating inequality and violence, both at home and abroad.

One of Benjamin’s central concerns has been challenging U.S. imperialism and militarism. From Iraq and Afghanistan to Libya, Syria, and Yemen, she has continuously spoken out against U.S. interventions, arguing that these actions cause more harm than good by destabilizing regions and leading to civilian casualties. In her view, U.S. foreign policy is too focused on military solutions, and she advocates for diplomatic engagement, humanitarian aid, and peacebuilding as alternatives.

Her opposition to U.S. militarism extends to the use of drones and targeted assassinations, which became more prominent during the Obama administration. She co-authored a book, *Drone Warfare: Killing by Remote Control* (2013), highlighting the human cost of drone strikes in countries like Pakistan and Yemen. This work, like much of her activism, is aimed at fostering greater accountability for the U.S. government's actions abroad and encouraging Americans to consider the real consequences of war.

In addition to her direct action work, Benjamin is an accomplished author. She has written several books on topics ranging from globalization to the arms trade and U.S. foreign policy. Some of her most notable works include *"No Free Lunch: Food and Revolution in Cuba"* (1986), which reflects her time in Cuba and offers insights into how that country navigated post-revolutionary challenges. Another key publication, *"Inside Iran: The Real History and Politics of the Islamic Republic of Iran"* (2018), seeks to provide a more nuanced understanding of the country beyond the typical Western media portrayals, and it critiques U.S. policy toward Iran.

Her work in print, like her activism, is driven by a desire to expose injustices, offer alternative viewpoints, and promote non-violent solutions to the world's most pressing problems.

Benjamin’s activism, particularly her outspoken stance on U.S. foreign policy and her support for controversial movements like BDS, has attracted both praise and criticism. Supporters view her as a courageous and principled advocate for peace, unafraid to speak truth to power. Critics, on the other hand, sometimes accuse her of being overly idealistic or aligning with groups hostile to U.S. interests. Despite the backlash, Benjamin has maintained her course, arguing that dissent and protest are vital components of a healthy democracy.

Over the years, Medea Benjamin’s activism has helped reshape the discourse on U.S. foreign policy and militarism. Her tireless work has contributed to a broader awareness of the human cost of war, and her efforts to promote peace through grassroots mobilization continue to inspire activists worldwide. As the world faces complex challenges—from climate change to global inequality—Benjamin’s model of intersectional activism offers a path forward that connects peace with justice and equity for all.

Today, in her 70s, Medea Benjamin remains a powerful figure in the global peace movement. Through her leadership in CODEPINK and her involvement in various causes, she has played a significant role in building coalitions that resist war and advocate for a more just and peaceful world.

Find out more: www.codepink.org