LESSON PLAN

Melinda Gates Lesson Plan for Teachers

Multimedia Teacher Resource Includes Discussion Questions and Learning Outcomes

Credit: World Economic Forum [CC BY-SA 2.0] via Wikimedia Commons

Students read the following story about Melinda Gates and then consider the discussion questions.

Melinda Gates

By: Wendy Jewell

Melinda Gates continues to make empowering women and girls her life's work.

Discussion Questions

1. Melinda and Bill Gates formed the Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation in order to make a positive difference in the world. Research the work this foundation does. How has it improved the lives of those in developing nations?

2. Who do you know in your community who is making a positive difference in health and wellness for others? Share his or her story with MY HERO.

3. Melinda Gates believes the more women and girls are empowered, the stronger their communities are. How does economic empowerment help communities? How does it help women's equality?

5. What can you do to make a positive difference in your community, country or world? Create an action plan and share your story with MY HERO.

Learning Outcomes

Students will develop research and critical thinking skills as they learn about the work of the Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation and consider ways they too can make a positive impact in today's world.

Laura Nietzer

The Melinda Gates lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World
Credit: Evoke
Evoke A Community of Optimists Hosted by Melinda Gates
Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation
Melinda Gates discussed her life and work with women around the world.
Credit: C-SPAN 2 BOOK TV

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Organizer created on 7/15/2019 9:45:06 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 4/30/2020 2:30:46 PM by Laura Nietzer