Michaël S...

by Julieta Chaparro from Caen in France

My hero is my best friend, Michaël. He is determined, optimistic and generous. He truly has a fighting spirit because he managed to find out who he truly is. We have known each other for six years and one year ago, I used to call him "she". It took him fifteen years to realize that he was a boy and I did my best to help him get through all his contradictory feelings. He really fights for what he believes in and, even when people try to discriminate against him because he is a transgender man, he always keeps his head high. I sincerely admire him because he has been through a lot of difficult things. He suffered from bullying and has been betrayed several times.

He really is a self sacrificing person, he doesn't care about what happens to him as long as the ones he loves are happy. He is the kind of person who never gives you up and who will talk to you and reassure you until you get better. He is also very selfless and generous. Whenever I am walking with him in the street and we see someone begging or a homeless person, he will greet them, give them money or food and talk with them. He feels very concerned for people who are excluded.

He is also very smart and cultivated. He often gives me good advice about books or movies. He is very committed, and not only for the LGBTQ+ cause, but for all kinds of situations where people are discriminated against. He always tries to help people, even when he doesn't know them. For example, if he sees someone alone in his high school, he will go and talk to them. He is always there for the people he cares about, even when he was struggling with depression and mental health because of his problems and gender dysphoria. 

He really is a wonderful and very inspiring person and that's why he is my hero.