Michaela Musilova

by Cindy Wang from Barrington, Illinois

When I was younger, I dreamt of being a time traveler. I envisioned what it would be like, going to Ancient Rome and walking around a now-fallen empire, or how it would feel in the very first days of human civilization, that we learned so precisely about. I longed to go all the way back to the very origins of the universe, a minute observer watching it all unfold: the very first stars forming, the galaxies evolving, and the planets taking shape. It all seemed so grand, as one colossal puzzle at my fingertips. 

And that was where my fascination with learning about the world around me started. From the simplest things in life—like two stones in a pond—to the most complex, ranging from supernovae to black holes to galaxy clusters, there is nothing short of a treasure map for me to explore. I want to advance my understanding of the experiences around me, to probe both the natural and theoretical worlds.

When on one fateful Tuesday morning, I got the chance to interview Dr. Michaela Musilova, I had not a single inkling of how the conversation would change my life completely. Musilova is perhaps the most accomplished individual I have spoken with—and may ever be. With degrees in earth and planetary sciences from University College London (UCL) and a year at the California Institute of Technology under her belt, Musilova went on to become a prominent astrobiologist, conducting research across a wide range of international institutions, including NASA, ESA, CalTech, University College London, Chiba University (Japan), Canada-France-Hawaii telescope, and many others. She is also an analog astronaut and a global faculty member at the International Space University. 

But her achievements go far beyond that. While her academic accomplishments are nothing short of impressive, her story makes her a true hero.  

Her childhood interests lie close to my heart. She explains her own fascination with the world around her, from rocks to volcanoes, as a child. But, what truly piqued her interest in space and astrobiology was “an encyclopedia, [where she] found a chapter about Jupiter and Saturn. [Musilova] found out how many moons they have and that there could potentially be some alien life living on those moons.”

And so, her journey began. Even knowing her career path early on, astrobiology is a very difficult science, requiring multiple degrees to break into the field and extensive research experience. Her big goal, when entering University College London as a planetary science major? “To work for NASA and other space institutions,” she says. 

It was hardly a smooth ride from there. Research opportunities are often limited in number at NASA, and very few for international students. While on a full-scholarship study-aboard year at the California Institute of Technology (CalTech), Musilova found out about the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) working in collaboration with CalTech. She got in contact with a scientist, “who liked [her] ideas but warned that international students couldn't work for NASA due to visa rules. [She] was sad but didn't give up.”

It was this driving fire in her, an unwaning passion that would not succumb easily, that ultimately led to her success. Seeking alternatives, Musilova proposed winning a grant together with the scientist. When they eventually did, she was able to cross the first item off her bucket list: working at NASA JPL at 21 years old. 

Musilova’s ultimate goal wasn’t complete just yet, though. In fact, it’s still a work in progress. Dreaming since her teenage years to one day go to space, she’s been hit with many more challenges along the way. With Slovakia, her home country, only recently joining the European Space Agency (ESA) and investing in space infrastructure, and NASA allowing only US-citizens on its missions, Musilova states that “currently Slovakians don't have many opportunities [to go to space], just like many others from non-ESA member states or associate member states.”

She didn’t let this limited opportunity deter her; in fact, it drove her to become one of the very reasons for Slovakia’s recent investment in space research. After returning to Slovakia once she completed her PhD, she knew that changes needed to be made to increase interest in the space sector back home. With other young professionals, she created the Slovak Organization for Space Activities (SOSA), which sent Slovakia’s first satellite to space and propelled the launch of over 40 space companies in the past seven years. In the future, she says, she’s hoping to increase opportunities in space for people in Slovakia and improve representation. 

Her path to space was not all positives, but she provided valuable advice to aspiring researchers: “Even if it seemed impossible, like getting a huge scholarship to go to CalTech, I still gave it a try. If it didn't work out, I had backup plans.”