Michelle Obama

by Noor Kambo from San Diego, California in United States

133546commons.wikimedia.orgAli Shaker/VOA [Public domain]Michelle Obama once said, “There are still many causes worth sacrificing for, so much history yet to be made.” She is an inspiration and leader to girls all around the world. She has made many sacrifices to help people all over the world. Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama is a lawyer, a writer and was a first lady of the United States of America. She grew up on Chicago’s Southside and went to a public elementary school. She got a law degree from Harvard and a masters from Princeton. The turning point in her life was when her father sadly passed from multiple sclerosis and her best friend passed from cancer. This experience left her thinking about her own life, and so she left her job at the law firm to go take up a career she was passionate about. She became the first African American first lady, who started many movements to help people. Her greatest achievement was when she launched "Let's Move!" It spread awareness to people about childhood obesity, and everyone exercised. Michelle Obama is an inspiration and a hero because she is a leader and commitment to helping others.

One way Michelle Obama is a hero is because she is a leader to those around her. Obama was highly involved when she was in college: “Obama got involved with the Third World Center, an academic and cultural group that supported minority students, and ran a day care they sponsored that included afterschool tutoring” (“Michelle Obama.” Michelle). Obama involved herself in many different programs outside of school. She would help kids less fortunate than her. She studied hard and made it to an Ivy League school. Obama wants to help those who are minorities so they can achieve a good education and not let their social status determine it. Obama noticed that there was a lot of racial divide in her universities: “As one of the few black students at Princeton, she felt acutely aware of a racial divide on campus,” and, “After Princeton, Michelle applied to and was accepted at Harvard Law School in 1985. She felt the same racial divide there, and spent her free time recruiting other black undergraduates to Harvard from other schools” (Tunstall). Michelle noticed that the number of African American students at universities were decreasing in number. She was aware of the racial divide during this time and how blacks weren't admitted as much as whites. Michelle Obama is a leader because she defied all the odds by going to Princeton and Harvard. Her family didn’t come from much, yet, she made it to prestigious schools and became a role model for young girls. She also started to recruit more blacks to Harvard so that is was less racially divided. Michelle Obama is a leader for those around her and has helped many people along the way.

133547commons.wikimedia.orgGage Skidmore from Peoria, AZ, United States of AmericaMichelle Obama is also always committed to helping others. She started a movement to help people with obesity: “In 2009, she planted an organic garden on the lawn of the White House as part of her campaign to educate and encourage children and adults to eat healthier. The following year, Obama launched the Let’s Move! initiative, which sought to end childhood obesity. The campaign educated children and parents about the importance of eating healthy and participating in physical activity” ("Michelle Obama" Contemporary). Michelle Obama is committed to helping end childhood obesity. She also campaigned for schools to sell healthier lunches because she wants kids to be more educated on what obesity is and how to prevent it. Another reason she is committed to help others because: “In 2015, Mrs. Obama joined President Obama to launch Let Girls Learn, a U.S. government-wide initiative to help girls around the world go to school and stay in school. As part of this effort, Mrs. Obama called on countries across the globe to help educate and empower young women, and she shared the stories and struggles of these young women with young people here at home to inspire them to commit to their own education” (“Michelle Obama.” The White House). Michelle Obama advocated for young girls and their education. She wants girls around the world to have a good education and stay in school. She is committed to helping girls all over the world because she wants them to achieve a higher education and go to a college or a university. Another reason Michelle Obama is a committed person is because she has started many movements to help people around the world.

Michelle Obama’s commitment and leadership reveals why she’s a hero to many people. She volunteered at many places outside of school and helped those who are minorities in society. She has been an inspiration to many people: “Following in her older brother's footsteps, Michelle then attended Princeton University, graduating cum laude in 1985 with a B.A. in Sociology. She went on to study law at Harvard Law School, where she took part in demonstrations calling for the enrollment and hiring of more minority students and professors” (“Michelle Obama.” Biography.com). Michelle Obama was told when she was younger that she would not get into Princeton or Harvard. She inspired many because of her perseverance and willingness to not give up on her dream. She graduated from both schools, proving to girls all over the world that they can make it into any school if they try. She is a selfless person and has demonstrated anyone can do anything if they want to.

Works Cited:

“Michelle Obama.” Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 17 Apr. 2019, www.biography.com/us-first-lady/michelle-obama.

"Michelle Obama." Contemporary Black Biography, vol. 61, Gale, 2007. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1606003703/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=a01c678a. Accessed 29 Apr. 2019.

“Michelle Obama.” Michelle Obama (Biography Today), Sept. 2009, p. 1. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=b6h&AN=51313242&site=brc-live.

“Michelle Obama.” The White House, The United States Government, www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-white-house/first-ladies/michelle-obama/.

Tunstall, Lee. “Michelle Obama.” Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama, Sept. 2008, p. 1. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=b6h&AN=35275149&site=brc-live.

First Lady Michelle Obama - Michelle Obama's life and the initiatives she has started.
Michelle Obama - Michelle Obama's life and accomplishments while being the first lady.