Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Priscilla from Sherman Oaks

Martin Luther King Jr. was born January 15,1929 . His grandfather began the family's tradition as a pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta. Martin's father has served from then until the present. And from 1960 until his death he acted as co-pastor.Martin Luther attended public schools in Georgia and graduated from high school at the age of fifteen.

Martin Luther King Jr., was always a strong worker for civil rights for members of his race. He was one of the persons that was boycotting. The boycott lasted 382 days. On December 21,1956, the Supreme Court of the United States declared that Negroes and whites rode buses as equals. During boycott, Martin Luther was arrested and his house was bombed.

In 1957 he was elected president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Between 1957 and 1968, he traveled over six million miles and spoke over twenty-five hundred times. Meanwhile he wrote five books as well as articl;es.

At the age of thirty-five, Martin Luther King Jr., was the youngest man to have received the Nobel Peace Prize. On the evening of April 4,1968, while standing on the balcony of his motel room in Tennesse, where he was going to protest march in sympathy, he was assassinated.

Martin Luther King Jr. is my hero because he helped people to get equal parts like everyone else. Although I'm Latin I'm still proud of what he did because the world today would be terrible. Everything he did was very hard and I know that someone else wouldn't have done all he did.