Moses

by Mark from Center Valley

I chose Moses, from the Bible, as my hero. A lot of my classmates chose sports, music or celebrity stars as their heroes, but I wonder what these people ever did to be a true hero.

I chose Moses because he saved millions of Isralite lives, and he was a wonderful God-fearing man. He was meek before God and he believed in his cause. Most people have heard about Moses even if they're not a Christian or Jew. Most people have also heard the story about the Red Sea.

desertvoice.org
desertvoice.org

If you ever saw the movie (based on the life of Moses), The Prince of Eygpt, it's not entirely true. First of all, Ramses was Moses' uncle, not his brother. Moses was not as brave as he was in the movie. He actually had his brother Aaron talk to the pharaoh. (It is believed by some that Moses had a speech impediment and he stuttered.)

What a lot of people remember best about Moses is the parting of the Red Sea. According to the Bible, Moses stuck his rod in the ocean and the walls of water came up and left a path for the Israelites to cross. Then when the Egyptians tried to get through, the water rushed back in and swallowed them up.

The Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People

In conclusion, I think Moses is an excellent role model. He was not very brave, but he trusted the word of God. I feel he is better to have as a hero than some rock star.

Here are the 10 Commandments given to Moses by God:

• I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
  • Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
  • Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
  • Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.
  • Honor thy father and thy mother.
  • Thou shalt not murder.
  • Thou shalt not commit adultery.
  • Thou shalt not steal.
  • Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
  • Thou shalt not covet anything that belongs to thy neighbor.

The Jewish Children's Learning Network
Jewish Calendar - from the Fries School of Philosophy website
The Anti-Defamation League - Fighting anti-semitism, bigotry and extremism since 1913

Visit these other My Hero pages on the history of religion and religious figures:

Krishna
Jesus
Moses
Abraham
Native American Spirituality
Confucius

Moses was born to a poor Jewish slave in Egypt. At the time, the Pharoah forbade all Jewish women to keep their baby boys. Moses' mother was afraid that her baby would be harmed, so she put him into a basket that floated down the river, hoping that he would be found by an Egyptian woman who might raise him as her own. The Pharoah's daughter discovered the baby in the bullrushes and Moses was raised a prince.

One day, Moses was summoned by God. He left the comfort of the palace to bring the Jewish slaves out of bondage in Egypt. He delivered the 10 Commandments to his people. He never made it to the promised land because he lost his temper and broke the tablets of stone in a rage when the people had, for a moment, lost their faith.

On Mount Sinai he rebuilt the tablets and led his people to freedom. He spent his final days in the hills watching over the Jewish tribes of Israel as they made their journey to a new homeland. According to the Bible, the journey took 40 years.

Moses is honored as a freedom hero by people of all faiths. It is said that he stuttered. How curious that God would find a man with a speech impediment to speak on behalf of Him. God works in mysterious ways. He chose Moses and helped him free the Jews. Over the centuries many people who have suffered from oppression have found hope in Moses and his heroic journey. His story reminds people of all faith that men and women are meant to be free.

Leaders and heroes can be imperfect. Moses is a great example: he stuttered, he lost his temper, yet he freed an entire nation.