My friend Dima

by Ann Skirko from Ukraine

I would like to share a personal story about one person who became my hero. There were many different people around me, but the presence of one person made my life better and more colorful.  I am an optimistic person and I like to look at everything positively, in class, I was always the center of attention.

But one day everything changed and suddenly I became an outcast. A couple of words I said were unnecessary and my classmates decided that it would be better to insult me in return rather than solve the problem calmly. I worry quite a lot and that quarrel with my classmates became something terrible for me. That night I felt emotionally, mentally, and physically bad and there was nothing I could do about it.

With each new week, my condition worsened and my parents decided to get me checked in the hospital. I was given a bad diagnosis and assigned a psychologist for a while. Because of that quarrel, I started having heart problems at the age of 12, and the slightest worry caused my blood pressure to rise. I had no friends because my classmates turned their backs on me, and besides them, I had no one.

My condition did not improve and I was on the phone every day, logging into different social networks in search of at least some kind of communication. And one fine evening I found Him. While playing one of the games, I decided to be on a team with one boy and it was a wonderful decision for me. After the game, we started chatting with each other and every day our communication improved, as my mood did. I was glad to have a friend who would not insult me for my style, appearance and clothes. I was glad every day that I spent with him on the Internet. However, with the onset of summer, our communication stopped. During the whole summer, we didn’t say hello to each other or ask how each other was doing. The school had started. As usual, after finishing my lessons, I went home. When I arrived, I saw a message from that boy saying that he had seen me on the street and thus he lived not far from my house. I was surprised and started asking for details. Our communication resumed and we continued chatting every day, interested in all the details of our daily lives.

He had a friend who he decided to introduce me to. Our contact with that friend was not long, but it brought me many bright moments in life that I had been missing. We started going out together or in the company of his friends. I was glad that thanks to him, I was making new friends and he was also happy about it.

Finally, everything seemed to start to get better, I began to communicate with people again and not be afraid of them. But recently at school, a teacher began insulting me for my appearance. As a result, I thought about moving to another educational institution because I was not welcome here. But my mother said: We need to solve the problem, not run away from it.” In the end, I pulled myself together and decided that I would finish this school and forget everything like a bad dream. Unfortunately, after another insult from my teacher, the desire to move somewhere became more and more. After telling my friend everything I was going to through, I heard a proposal to transfer to his school. I knew where he studied and I was interested in this place for a long time, but I couldn’t make up my mind for a long time.

When I transferred there, I did not regret it. Then I found myself in a pleasant class where they didn’t judge you but helped in everything and were glad of your presence. The teachers were pleasant to talk to and listening to their subject matter made me interested in it. And once again I told my friend “thank you” for his advice.

I'm glad that a person like him appeared in my life. Although we have moments in communication when we take a break, we can still write to each other when it is necessary. We can find support at any time and not judge, but draw conclusions and give advice. Dima is my best friend, who has become what I can safely call my hero!

168109Dima and me(He came to help me when I applied to the new school)