My hero - Maxian Carolina

by Gabriela Sacencu from Sacencu Gabriela

131853Maxian Carolina By Sacencu Gabriela My hero - Maxian Carolina 

This story isn't about me, it isn't about stars or fairy tale characters. This story is about my hero.

She is a wonderful person. Her name is Carolina and she is only 10 years old. The girl lives in a small village from the Republic of Moldova.

I met Carolina recently, on Christmas Eve. On January 4th, with some volunteers, I organized a Christmas Caravan through which we proposed to bring light in the houses of families in need. I never thought that everything that was going to happen there would mark me so much.
We arrived to Bobulești village, to a small and old house. The hosts warmly welcomed us and invited us into their house. The rooms were small and modest, with old wooden beds and furniture. In one of the rooms, five children were playing. A special little girl caught my attention, because she looked like an angel. She had short hair like a boy and was wearing a beautiful pink dress. While the volunteers were bringing gifts for the children into the house, I approached the little angel and I began talking with her. From our discussion, I found out that her name was Carolina and she was 10 years old. She said with enthusiasm that she likes to sing and draw, and she loves people so much. The girl said that most of all she wants to see and go to school as the other children do. I was puzzled, why couldn't she do that? The following words hurt me a lot. The child testified that she has cancer. I began to cry. I couldn't believe that fate could be so ruthless and could do such things to an innocent child. Because of the disease, she lost the ability to see, and now she even can't move.

Carolina was diagnosed with cancer in 2016. She suffered a lot of surgeries. Cancer took her ability to see and move. Often, the girl loses her words and even forgets some words. Moreover, Carolina has inside her body a tube connected from the head to the lungs that helps her breathe easier, but this tube causes her much pain. Her parents find it very difficult to support five children in such a small house and earn the necessary money for the surgical interventions so necessary for Carolina. They work days and nights to offer a better life to their children. The fate puts them to the test day by day, but no matter what it is, they continue to be strong and to hope that God will help them overcome all the weights of life.

I cherished every moment spent with Carolina. She is the most beautiful person I met and I was blessed to meet her, because from her I learned a lot of things.

In the next hours spent with us, Carolina was very excited. We sang together “Long live!,” and the girl recited many poems for children and learned some from us. She recited also the pray "Our Lord." After this, she said that she really believes in God’s power, because He protects us and will help her to treat the cancer.

There are not enough words to describe this girl. She is incredible, so powerful and full of life. I was very surprised by her hope. It was not the pain that surprised me, but her courage, the good spirit and a sensational degree of optimism and hope for good. She also said, “When I am okay, I will have a lot of things to do. I have to help my parents and take care of my brother and sisters. I have to plant flowers, because they smell so beautiful. I have to go to school and learn about the world and its people. I have to grow up and became a teacher, because I love children and I want to be friendly with them. But most of all, I would like to help the people who suffer of cancer like me, because it is not worth suffering like this. All the people in the world deserve to be happy and to find the beauty of this wonderful world.”

I believe that she has a lot to do and I hope that she will succeed. It is certain that this attempt of life has made her stronger. Carolina told me that she’s not afraid anymore of injections and chirurgical surgeries, because she is a warrior. Then, I saw in this little girl a fighter. She really fights day by day and gives this power to other people. On that day, the little girl became a friend with all volunteers. She couldn't see them nor me, but she wanted to know the names of each of us. She wanted to find out what we like, what we can do, which are our goals, what colour our eyes have. She only heard us, but she was so happy to meet new people and make new friends. She repeated ceaselessly, “Hey, I like you, you're so amazing." I began to love her so much, because she is a true drop of kindness in our world. Carolina is a friend whom all of us want to have. She didn't see us so, she didn't appreciate us for our exterior. She has a great soul and a big heart. That’s why Carolina is my hero.

When our visit was nearly over, I asked Carolina: "What do you want us to bring you when we come the next time?” Then, she said: "I only want to stay with you again… I hope that I will hear news about you… Please, visit me again." We promised that will visit Carolina frequently. I was very surprised, as I thought she could ask to bring her dolls, toys, clothes, but no… She only wanted to see us again… When we left Carolina, I was crying, I couldn't say goodbye to this little angel… This visit to her really marked me. In the end of the day I was very tired, but so happy, because I met a wonderful little girl who became a hero for me.

Now, I know, a hero is not a person who saves the world, who appears on TV and all the people talk about him or her. A hero is a person who inspires, motivates you to hope, to love, to pray, to be courageous and strong. Carolina taught me all of these, that’s why she is my hero.