My Hero Scholars Assignment - My Dad

by Scholars Class from Grayslake

When I was little, my dad and I used to trade back and forth a coloring book, leaving drawings and cute little notes for the other to discover.

We went through the entire coloring book--composed of hundreds of drawings!--and my dad never once failed to get back to me. No matter how busy he was as a pilot, I always had a new picture waiting for me, each filled with remarkable detail and vibrant color.

143760December 15, 2012(from my father)

We'd spend the nights lounging on the couch together, one of us coloring. Shielding the pages in an attempt to block the other's gaze, we'd try to have the drawing remain a surprise until the very end.

And even when my dad was on a flying trip, I made sure he would have a new page to come home to.

In a lot of ways, I know that this tradition brought me and my dad closer together. 

I appreciate the time and effort my dad put into each drawing, and this--to me--shows his selflessness.

Despite all that he had on his schedule (meetings, flights, and all the other responsibilities of being a father) he dedicated the time to make me happy... and that is why he's my hero.

For this past Valentine's Day--about a decade after the first coloring book--I received another as a gift. When I saw it, I smiled, immediately filled with recognition and nostalgia. 

143764February 2021(mine from the new book)We've been slowly making our way through the new book, passing it back and forth. We've somehow roped my mom into coloring a couple, too, which is exciting!

All in all, a coloring book may seem simple, but it helped me strengthen a bond between me and my family, taught me the importance of art, and showed me truly how much my parents cared about me.