Essays on the Theme of Heroism

My Mother

by Fatou Jarju from Banjul in Gambia

Out of everyone who has come in and out of my life, the main person who impacted me most is my mum. She has inspired me in so many ways. I could not ask for a better hero in my life.

My mother has a unique personality, which makes her one of a kind. She is a lady who is not afraid to be her own person, and that's the main reason why she is such a hero to me. She has always taught me to always be myself, and never let other things bring me down. My mother’s personality also contributed to the fact that she is a truly genuine person. She is the kind of person who is willing to put others' happiness in front of her own. The fact that my mother is always being there for me and supported me along the way makes me respect her in many ways. Growing up I was involved in different types of sports and activities, and she always makes the effort and every single game, and met me no matter what her schedule consisted of. She is always there cheering me and giving me motivation.

My mother always makes the best out of every situation that comes along her way; she continues to wear a smile on her face even when times get tough. She taught me that life is short and I should enjoy the little moments before it is too late. My mother will always be remembered as the one who could brighten anyone’s day.

My mother will always be my hero. I know that she is just wanting the best for me, as a parent. I could not ask for a better hero in my life. She is such an inspiration to me.

My mother, my sweet mother.