My Mother

by H.S from Fredericksburg Academy

The word hero to me holds many meanings. I believe it is an honorary title given to those in our world who have proven their humanity over and over again, through hard times and easy. The title hero can be given to so many people in the world, and yet I have chosen my own personal hero, and not because others are not worthy of it but because day in and day out my mother is my hero. But what does that mean? What qualities make a hero? I believe that there are five main characteristics of Heroism: patience, selflessness, humility, kindness, and courage. 

Over and over we as humans are told patience is a virtue. I believe this wholeheartedly as being cool, calm, and collective in high-stress situations is the mark of a strong person. It displays the ability to be goal orientated and have preparedness. Not only is patience important with victims of a tragedy, but it’s necessary with fussy, teething toddlers. Or the wheelchair-bound elderly who have dementia. Patience requires an understanding of the situation you are in and is one of the most important factors to being a hero. Another characteristic is selflessness. A lot of the time, people associate sacrifice as selflessness, such as a wounded warrior or the everyday people who put their lives on the line to save someone. However, this is not the only form of selflessness there is. Being selfless is in the mundane, everyday habits, like helping someone carry something or holding open the door.

Humility is a building block of compassion. A reason why heroes like King Arthur and Luke Skywalker are so beloved is due to their humility. Some of the best heroes are what they are because they have a profound understanding of where they come from. Humility helps to breed kindness. To have kindness, understanding and compassion must be present in the forms of empathy and sympathy. In situations of distress, half the battle is won by keeping people calm. Courage is the most important strength of a hero. To even be a hero, you must have courage. Heroes aren’t always strong. But they do always have courage. From courage, strength can be built, and from courage a hero is born. It is easy to gain strength, whether the strength of body or knowledge, but in order to have true strength, you must have courage first. Courage is a good form of anger; it gives you a standing to lift you up, whether you are standing up for yourself or someone else.

My mother grew up in a loving and supportive household. Countless times I have heard stories of my grandparents and their kindness and love for their children. Her patience and empathy for those around her were fostered and grown in the loving and understanding home that they provided for her and my uncle. However, the strength of my mother was tested very early on when my grandfather fell off terribly ill and soon passed away. She was only eighteen and a senior in high school. My uncle had just decided to join the military, when he was denied due to being the last male heir to the family name. With hard times ahead my mother buckled down and dealt with the arrangements, as well as the less pleasant people that are brought out during trying times. This time of tragedy helped my mother learn how to deal with difficult scenarios and how to keep her composure during a tragedy. These same strengths were tried and tested again in a few short years.

When I was an infant I had a difficult time. I had extreme and volatile reactions that were terrifying and stressful to handle. It was found that I have a rare and dangerous food allergy with a terrifying reaction. Most parents would have struggled and felt forlorn. Not my mother. She began to do her own research, created a plan, and when she reached a roadblock, whether it be frustrating doctors or monitoring me during a food allergy test. Her courage and faith in the medical world were strong and in return, she gave me strength during those trying times. However, tragedy struck during the beginning chaos and my grandmother passed suddenly. Once again my mom gathered herself and began the necessary preparations and strived to be there for my uncle as well as push through on her own. 

In my eyes, there are too many reasons why my mother is a hero. I could go on and on and on and eventually fill up a 12-page paper. Through the trials of life and time, one of the most amazing people I know was created. Through everything, my mother has been the backbone that held together our family, between my father’s difficult and stressful job and the life that being a military spouse brings, to the hardships she had to endure that most adults won’t have to face until well into their twilight years. She encourages those around her to strive to be the best they can and is a large reason my siblings and I are, able to live well and comfortable lives and rely on the knowledge she gave us to pursue our dreams. If you were to ask her she would say something like, “No, you are the reason you do great things,” even though without my mother I know that none of my family would be half as successful, or even be the persons we are. She is courageous and selfless. She is strong and capable and kind when need be. Her humanity runs deep and I am proud to say that she is not only my hero but my mother as well. Thank you.