My Uncle Stephen

by Grace Hudson from Eden Prairie, Minnesota in United States

138214Stephen and Becca Amy HudsonMy uncle Stephen truly is a hero. Every year when we go to Illinois for Christmas, I always look forward to seeing him. He is just always so happy and fun, and also serious. He loves the time he gets to spend with the kids and the adults. In August, he got married to my aunt Becca. She is so awesome! She is always happy to see us, and she is so funny. The best trip I have ever taken was their wedding. Oh, and also Christmas of this year. The wedding trip was very bittersweet for me and all of my family. More on that later. Here is the story of the wedding.

When we got there (Illinois) we went to the hotel, and we found our room. We were super tired, but we still unpacked. Next we went to a church for rehearsal. My Uncle Stephen was there, and I was so excited to see him! We saw everyone else, then all the cousins went to a gym to play. I saw the rehearsal as Emma was coming back in (she was a flower girl and she is also my sister), and it was already looking so beautiful, I couldn’t wait for the wedding! The next day was the sad part of the trip. My great grandmother’s memorial service. My uncle was crying, and he said something next that almost made me cry. He talked about how he had a difficult year, and his grandma could tell. She was saying how he “wasn’t Stephen anymore” and how she “missed his spirit.” Then, she met Becca. As soon as she met her, she knew she was the one. She even had (as we found out at the wedding shower) some silverware monogrammed with their names and the day she met Becca. That brought a lot of people to tears. After that, we went to a picnic at my grandparents' house. It was so fun! My whole family got to see each other, and the cousins were just having a blast. Not to mention how happy my grandparents were! The next day was my favorite day of the trip. It was wedding day! We got up bright and early to get ready. Our parents got all situated, and Emma and I got on our dresses. I was so excited for my Uncle Stephen! I couldn’t wait for the reception! We got ready, and, after the 5th layer of eye shadow, we were finally ready to go. We got in the car, and we went to the wedding. We went up to the place where my soon-to-be aunt was getting ready. She was gorgeous! All her family members went out to look at her in her dress, and a lot of them cried. We then went downstairs to see everybody. This was the part where everyone but the bride and groom (and a couple others) were still getting ready.

Then came the ceremony. I was so excited. We all went in and sat down, all the cousins of course trying to sit up front. We were all waiting in anticipation for them to walk out. I was nearly breathless. I wasn’t quite sure why I was so excited, even though I had every reason to be. I watched as everyone walked out one by one, and then I saw my uncle. He looked like he was on cloud 9. When my soon-to-be aunt came out, he looked so happy, he was even crying tears of joy. He looked so brave up there. After my soon-to-be aunt said her vows, she was like, “Beat that!” We were all laughing, and after my uncles vows, she said, “Ok, you did.” Then was the “I do,” and then the kiss. So. Many. People. Crying! We were all so happy that Becca was a part of the family. That was the first kiss that they had since they met, so it was doubly special. Then came dinner. That part was just eating really. Then was pictures, pictures, pictures. My uncle and aunt left to do a lot of wedding pictures, then came back. Then came the dancing! Best. Thing. Ever! My uncle was so excited, and getting into all of the songs. He even picked my cousin up! Then we did the send off, which was foot-long sparklers! In conclusion, my uncle is my hero since he is just such a joy and happy influence, and Becca makes it even better. I just love that he brings light to every room! I love you Uncle Stephen!