Siegfried Marcus

by Michael from New Jersey

Siegfried Marcus (Google Images)
Siegfried Marcus (Google Images)

Ralph Waldo Emerson once proclaimed, “A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer!” Heroism is better than wealth, because you are doing deeds to benefit others. Heroes accomplish goals for the good of the future. A hero should have great qualities, such as determination, selflessness, and most importantly, optimism. Siegfried Marcus, a German inventor, is a hero in people’s minds.

Siegfried Marcus was born September 18, 1831 in Mecklenburg, Germany. In his early childhood, he learned that engineers are the improvers of the earth. He was pulled out of school at the age of seven. His family moved to Thal, Austria, where Siegfried earned a Master’s Degree in Physics and Engineering. At the age of 20, he married and moved to Vienna, Austria.

Car Made by Siegfried Marcus (Google Images)

“A good invention may be used, but a great invention is used everyday.” Siegfried Marcus once explained. In Vienna, Siegfried was the first man to use gasoline. Also, he developed the first car with an engine. Three years later, he finished his second car. When he left his workshop that day, he had a terrible heart attack. The carbon monoxide in the air clogged his lungs. Siegfried Marcus died January 11, 1898 and will always be remembered.

Siegfried Marcus had the hero qualities of being humble, determined, and selfless. He never gave up and always worked hard. Marcus was very quiet and humble about his great work. Siegfried showed that he cared for the other people in his community by volunteering. These great deeds that benefit others really show that he is a hero.

In conclusion, heroes impact the lives of others. All heroes do not always have to be famous. Siegfried Marcus is a German inventor who is a hero because of what he did in his life. He was very intelligent and his work affected the future. Those who are heroes will never be forgotten.