Nikola Tesla

by Seb from Columbus, Indiana

“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly. But one can think deeply and be quite insane”. Nikola Tesla.
Nikola Tesla. (Wikipeadia.)
Nikola Tesla. (Wikipeadia.)

My hero was innovative, creative, and unique. It is also said that my hero created the modern world. My hero is Nikola Tesla; he was born in Smiljan, in the Austrian- Hungarian region. He lived from (1856-1943). There is a legend that he was born at the stroke of midnight during a fascinating electric storm in July 10, 1856. Then he moved to Hungry and France in 1880. He moved to the US in 1884 with a letter of recommendation to Thomas Edison from his former boss. After a couple of years Edison was joking and he said to Tesla that if he redesigned the company’s generator he would pay him 5,000 dollars.

A cut-away of Tesla's robot boat (Wikipedia.)

After working night and day he came up with several new patents for Edison, but Edison didn’t pay him so Tesla quit. My hero invented the AC current (alternating current) which is still used today to transmit power. Back then, George Westinghouse was interested in Tesla' s AC current and began to switch from the inefficient DC current, of which Edison was a big believer. Since Edison had a big industrial empire with DC current he didn’t want to lose, he, Tesla, and Westinghouse began the war of the current between AC current and DC current. Tesla and Westinghouse won the war of the currents just because AC current was a far more advanced technology than DC current.

He also invented the AC induction motor, some theories where named after him, he argued with most of Einstein’s theories, and he invented a basic radio control system which he used in a big radio control boat which he tried out in Madison square garden. Tesla was the real creator of the radio, because the robot boat he built was in 1854 and Marconi used 20 of Tesla's patents to create the radio. The patent of Marconi for the radio was ruled invalid by the Supreme Court in 1946 and then given to Tesla. Ever since Tesla was a kid, he had always tried to conquer Niagara Falls, so in 1885 with his business partner George Westinghouse they built a hydro-electric plant at Niagara falls using Tesla's Ac polyphse system.

Nikola Tesla inspired me because he never gave up and no matter what he always kept trying. He also never let what people said get to him. I learned that he was a unique and interesting man and that even though there might be some people who criticize you should always keep doing what you like to do. I also learned that you have to put your best foot forward and march so you can succeed. He also was ahead of his time; the world wasn’t ready for him. "The present is theirs, the future, for which I really worked, is mine." -Nikola Tesla.

Nikola tesla statue in Niagara falls state park. (Wikipedia.)

Nikola Tesla. He was often referred to as the man who invented the twentieth century, the man who shed light over the face of the earth, and the patron saint of modern electricity. He was one of the most important men in history. He was later forgotten. There is a statue in Niagara Falls state park and most people who walk by there and look at the statue doesn’t even know who he is.

Tesla Memorial Society of New York - A web site dedicated to Tesla.
Wikipedia - An online ensiclopeadia