Nathan Young

by Rachel Campbell from Los Angeles

Nestled in the lush, green hills of the Yunnan Province in China is Yuxi, the Hawaii of China. Though it is rarely visited by outsiders, especially those from Western countries, the destination held a special lure for Nathan Young, an American who recently graduated from the Brownsville Revival School of Ministry in Pensacola, Florida.

Eager to continue learning about other cultures, Young took a step out of his comfortable American lifestyle to join 14 other Americans for a three-week trek to Yuxi to teach English as a second language to high school and university students. Little did he know that the beauty of the land combined with the beauty of the people would leave an impression on his heart that he said will never be removed. "It's a beautiful place to live," Young said. "It is just so different. I had a little bit of a culture shock, but only because the culture is so good."

In a day when American culture is driving by money and power, Young was amazed by the people he encountered in the city of 300,000 people located near the southern border of China. "They are just so precious," he said with a far away look as if being transported back to the city. "They are so loving, so selfless. They go out of their way to make sure you are happy and are the center of attention. They are interested in you and not just because you are an American … That's one thing that really impressed my heart because Americans are so selfish, they want their way and they want it now."

As part of the teaching program, Young was able to work with student both individually and in large classrooms, which enabled him to have a number of experiences with the students.

And, the students were as fascinated by Young as he was by their dedication to school and learning. "They are excellent workers, always studying," said Young. "From eight to ten at night they have to study. They shut off all the lights on the entire campus except for the study halls so they are forced to study."

But, he added that the atmosphere is quite relaxed. "The students treat each other with respect,” he said. “They are not rebellious in their colleges and they love their teachers. I just can't get over that, it‘s so different."

One of Young's favorite teaching moments was during English Corner – a time after class when the students could ask the American teachers any questions they wanted. The students always crowded around the teachers with avid curiosity, taking advantage of the opportunity to learn more about America. "They ask you questions about everything you could think of," Young said. "Starting out with, 'Do you like China?’ ‘Do you like Chinese food?’ ‘What do you think about us?' And then get more intricate like, 'Do you like Michael Jackson?' He's huge there."

One class Young taught about stereotypes was particularly interesting for both him and his students. "I told them what we thought about them and they just died laughing," he said. "I asked them what they thought of Americans and I died laughing. They think we all look the same just like we think they all look the same.

"They thought we were all tall and have blonde hair. I wrote out a long list of what they said. A lot of it comes because all they see of Americans is from movies, and I hope that's not an accurate description of our society or we are in a pretty sad state."

The three weeks in Yuxi only sparked Young’s interested in the city, and he is considering living there on a permanent basis. Until then, Young continues to look fondly back on how his life was changed by the people of Yuxi and their genuine kindness. "They are very good friends," he said. "They are just so kind and gentle."

Yuxi Teacher’s College - Information about Yuxi Teacher's College
WorldTeach.org - Teaching English as a second language through WorldTeach.org
Study Abroad - Study abroad in the Yunnan Providence, China
Yuxi, China - General information about Yuxi
Travel China Guide - Travel guide to the Yunnan Providence