Nancy G. Brinker

by Maggie Samouris from San Diego

130609https://thegalleryofheroes.com/thegalleryofheroes/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Nancy-Brinker1.pngThe Gallery Of Heroes“You have breast cancer”, the words no woman wants to hear.  Nancy Brinker’s sister, Susan G. Komen, heard those words. Susan’s diagnosis inspired Nancy to form an organization called, Susan G. Komen for the Cure.  This organization has; “invested more than $2.2 billion in breast cancer research, education, screening, and treatment” (“Nancy G. Brinker.”). Nancy Brinker was born on: “ December 6, 1946.  Brinker and her sister, Susan,  were born in Peoria, Illinois. ("Nancy Brinker." ). When Susan received her diagnosis, she asked her sister to keep a promise: “Her journey began with a simple promise to her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would do everything possible to end the shame, pain, fear, and hopelessness caused by this disease. In one generation, Susan G. Komen for the Cure has changed the world” (“Nancy G. Brinker.” ).  Susan lost her battle with breast cancer at age of thirty-six.  Susan asked her sister, Nancy, to make sure no other woman has to go through this, and that's when the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure was born.  A hero embodies courage, a strong work ethic, and is a humanitarian. Nancy is selfless, works tirelessly, and promotes human welfare. In my eyes, Nancy G. Brinker is a courageous, hardworking, humanitarian that has dedicated her life to improving the lives of those suffering from cancer. These qualities are what heroes are made of.

130612“Nancy Brinker, Founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.” Yale Dyslexia, dyslexia.yale.edu/story/nancy-brinker/.Yale Dyslexia Nancy is fearless because she doesn’t let anything get in her way, even if it scares her. When the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure was established, Nancy was also diagnosed with breast cancer.  “In January 1984, Nancy's mission became even more personal. None of her expertise prevented the terror and rage she felt when she learned that she, too, had breast cancer. She was 36--the same age as Suzy when she died--and had the same kind of tumor. "I'm a pessimistic optimist; hope for the best but plan for the worst," Nancy recalls” (Peterson). Nancy stayed strong through this dark time and didn’t let it stop her efforts.   Nancy could have given up, but she didn’t. She remained optimistic and persevered. Nancy battled through the toughest of times, she managed to take a dark time,  and turn it into light. For example, when her sister passed away she could have completely shut down, but instead, she created an organization in her honor, which has helped millions of women. In addition,  she also did many other terrific acts: “ U.S. President George H.W. Bush appointed her to the three-member President's Cancer Panel and in 2001, U.S. President George W. Bush nominated her to serve as ambassador to Hungary” ("Nancy Brinker.").   Nancy created a multi-million dollar organization and went on to serve as an ambassador in Hungary for the awareness of breast cancer. This makes her a courageous hero by being brave and going the extra mile. She helps out others in need and she expects nothing back. Nancy not only made her sister’s wish a reality, but she also went on to help other people around the globe. Nancy Brinker didn’t let anything get in her way from her realizing her sister’s dying wish.  She is a courageous figure by being brave at scary times and stepping up to the plate when no one else would. Having had breast cancer herself, overcoming it, and then helping others overcome the disease, is truly inspiring and courageous.

Nancy has an incredible work ethic that has inspired others to join her. Every year, the Susan G. Komen Race For the Cure hosts a three-day walk for sixty miles in cities around the country. Thousands of people participate in this heartwarming, incredible event. Nancy inspired others to do something about this awful disease, through her extreme dedication:  “And each year, over 1.5 million people, in more than 120 U.S. cities and 13 countries, participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, the world’s largest educational and fundraising event for breast cancer” (“Nancy Brinker, Founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure”).To participate in the walk, you must raise a specified amount of money. Through Nancy's work, other people are also raising awareness towards breast cancer.  Nowadays, people are sharing their stories, and how breast cancer has impacted them. Not only did she create one of the biggest non-profit organization she also inspired others to help find a cure. Nancy always puts in one hundred and ten percent into everything she does. Her hard work has caused her to accomplish many other great things in her memorable life: “Armed with $200, a typewriter, and a list of names, Brinker gathered about 20 friends in her Dallas living room in 1982 and the foundation was born. To raise public awareness, the foundation needed money, so the women organized a polo tournament as their first event” (Nancy Brinker).  She began this journey with a promise to her sister. By starting a nonprofit organization, for the benefit of others, so nobody had to feel how Susan felt. She started with nothing just friends and a typewriter. She poured her heart and soul into her sister’s wish to live on, her compassion and work ethic is truly admirable. Nancy has an extreme love for what she does, making her the best at what she does and the most hardworking against the fight of breast cancer.

A humanitarian is somebody who has a concern for helping improve the welfare of others, and that's exactly what Nancy does. Ten to fifteen years ago, breast cancer was not talked about in the public eye. But Nancy changed that:  “In a matter of years, Brinker broke the silence around breast cancer, and Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure is now the world's largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures”(Nancy G.Brinker).  Nancy started from nothing and created an empire that has helped millions of men and women.  She has brought the topic of breast cancer to the forefront, and now there is a whole month dedicated to breast cancer awareness.  Nancy started this movement with a promise and didn’t know where it was going to end up. “Consider the power of her promise: It was Komen-funded research which pioneered the development of tamoxifen, a drug that treats breast cancer, and identified the breast cancer gene mutation (Peterson).  Nancy’s Promise changed the world. By making that promise to her sister,  she changed countless men and women’s lives and has inspired them. Nancy is the definition of a humanitarian, she has dedicated her adult life to making sure no other woman had to go through what her sister did.

130610“Nancy Brinker – Hero's Journey.” The Gallery of Heroes, 12 June 2011, thegalleryofheroes.com/nancy-brinker-heros-journey/.The Power Of Pink Nancy Brinker is a courageous, hard-working, humanitarian that changed millions of lives for the better.  Through her dedication to her sister and those who are still suffering from this horrible life-altering disease, she has made a positive difference in the fight against breast cancer.  President Obama agreed when he presented her with: “the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009, the nation's highest civilian honor, for this work” (Nancy G. Brinker). Not only is she an inspiration to millions of people around the world, but she is also an inspiration to me.  She inspires me because of her tenacity to never give up the fight: “Part of Brinker's success comes from her charming, yet aggressive, never-take-no-for-an-answer bulldozing approach to life” (“Nancy Brinker, Founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.”). Nancy’s determination to follow her dreams is something I hope to obtain one day. She inspires me and others by taking ahold of her dreams and following them. My Godmother was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of thirty-seven.  My Godmother, along with my mom, her best friend, took part in the Susan G. Komen three day walk. Through their fundraising efforts, my Godmother and mom raised over fifteen thousand dollars to help find a cure. I’m so proud of what they were able to accomplish. On the third and final day of the walk, I went to the closing ceremonies and listened to the speeches which made me very emotional. Listening to what this organization does for the people suffering from breast cancer, gave me a new level of respect for what Nancy has done. Nancy has changed the way we look at breast cancer forever. From us living in fear of breast cancer and never talking about it to now having a whole month dedicated to being aware of this disease. She is somebody I can truly call my hero, somebody that I look up to, and hope that I can emulate when I get older.  

Nancy G. Brinker - All about Nancy Brinker
Nancy Brinker, Founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure - How Nancy made a difference in the world of breast cancer