Health

National Epilepsy Month!

by Kaylie Cunio from Tyler, Texas

“People think that epilepsy is divine simply because they don't have any idea what causes epilepsy. But I believe that someday we will understand what causes epilepsy, and at that moment, we will cease to believe that it's divine. And so it is with everything in the universe.”
― Hippocrates

Every 1 in 10 will experience a seizure in their life but only 1 in 26 will develop epilepsy. Epilepsy is a chronic disorder that causes unprovoked, recurrent seizures. A seizure is a sudden rush of electrical activity in the brain. There are two main types of seizures. Generalized seizures affect the whole brain. Focal, or partial seizures, affect just one part of the brain. A mild seizure may be difficult to recognize. It can last a few seconds, during which you lack awareness. Stronger seizures can cause spasms and uncontrollable muscle twitches, and can last a few seconds to several minutes. During a stronger seizure, some people become confused or lose consciousness. Afterward you may have no memory of it happening. Epilepsy is a fairly common neurological disorder that affects 65 million people around the world. In the United States, it affects about 3 million people. Anyone can develop epilepsy, but it’s more common in young children and older adults. It occurs slightly more in males than in females. There’s no cure for epilepsy, but the disorder can be managed with medications and other strategies.

You may know Lil' Wayne, Prince, or Jason Snelling, and guess what! They all have epilepsy! 

Epilepsy is a mysterious condition with causes that are not always fully understood. Many people develop the disorder in childhood and outgrow it, while others have it for a lifetime. Seizures can be disruptive and sometimes cause injuries, but they can be controlled with treatment. As these accomplished people demonstrate, epilepsy doesn’t have to stop you from enjoying your life and finding success in all that you do.