Neerja Bhanot

by Khushi Bagri from San Diego, California in United States

132285Pan Am Flightaussieairliners.org [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)]Bang! Bang! Bang! The bullets flew past the injured passengers, who all rushed out of the emergency door and into a dreadful fiery night. Neerja Bhanot, a senior cabin manager, alerted all passengers and crew abroad to quickly escape the flight. “Neerja was born on September 7, 1962, in Chandigarh Sector 16 where her father Harish worked as a journalist with Hindustan Times. [They] moved to Bombay in March 1974. They lived in Patrakar Colony,... and Neerja was admitted to the prestigious Bombay Scottish High School, Mahim. ... she had a hearty outdoor life, playing pittu and cricket” (Sahani). Early morning of September 5, 1986, Bhanot had a flight to attend from Mumbai which was going to three destinations: Karachi, Frankfurt, and then to the U.S. Later, when the flight was getting prepared to depart from Karachi Airport, four terrorists stormed onto the plane, therefore resulting the Hijack of Pan Am 73 (“Story of Neerja Bhanot”). Neerja Bhanot’s determination and bravery to sacrifice her life to save all passengers, remain calm, and hopeful through the crisis has established her as a true hero.  

Bhanot’s determination and hard work has made her an independent woman. At Bombay Scottish High School, Neerja Bhanot was aware to do well in her classes: “An average student, Neerja was good at many sports, including throwball, gymnastics, and basketball. Once the photo was printed, she got her first modelling offer. Paville, a popular retail store, had contacted her. In the black-and-white ad, she is striding confidently down the road, with her head thrown back and smiling” (Sahani). Her determination to do well at school led her to create a curiosity to learn and never give up when there were challenges. Neerja Bhanot defined her future goals and career life to being a model and a flight attendant. Eventually when she graduated college, she decided to work in one of her ads, and she soon realized this type of job uplifted her self-confidence and made her feel independent. Throughout her life Bhanot has moved many times and kept her studies complete: “...Neerja Bhanot was born in Chandigarh and then moved to Mumbai, where she finished her schooling and in college and began her career, as a model” (“Neerja Bhanot”). Neerja Bhanot valued her academics and always gave her best effort in her work. During Bhanot’s school and career life, she was earnest to the knowledge given to her and understood the purpose of education was to define her career life. With a strong-minded and dedicated goal, Neerja Bhanot continued to work hard and determined her career.

132481Quote of Neerja Bhanot about HijackingOriginal WorkDespite the situation Bhanot was in she stayed calm, report the problem, and willingly forfeit her life to save all passengers from danger. Immediately upon seeing unannounced people on abroad, she decided to take action: “The [foremost] thing that Neerja did when the terrorist boarded the plane was that she informed the cockpit crew who then managed to [escape] through an overhead hatch in the cockpit” (Jitesh). Neerja Bhanot never ignored her duty during the hijacking and was determined to help and protect all passengers. At once, Bhanot had a state of mind to not run away from the problem and instead chose to be in charge of the crew and passengers’ safety. Awhile later, the terrorists started to fire their guns inside the plane: “Neerja managed to open the emergency exit and instead of jumping out and sav[ing] herself, she ensured the passengers on the flight [to] get to safety first” (“Neerja Bhanot”). From the beginning of the hijacking, Bhanot insisted herself to protect the passengers even if that meant she had to sacrifice herself. As a senior cabin manager, Neerja Bhanot successfully fulfilled her duty to shield and preserve the safety of most passengers against the gunshots. Bhanot’s selfless thoughts and actions provoked her to maintain her responsibility and to put others’ safety first than her own safety.

Through a compassionate and courageous mind, Neerja Bhanot stepped up to put others lives before hers and to handle dangerous situations in a calm manner. Bhanot’s important goal, was to be educated, independent, and to be bold. She was motivated that education will lead her to seek her future goals and career life, also the career goals that she will make would result in her being an independent woman. As a crew member of Pan Am, Neerja Bhanot persuaded goals of a flight attendant’s, kept her word to accomplish her goals, and never gave up on them. In an article written by Sahani stated: “While helping three children slide down the chute of the emergency exit, Neerja was hit by bullets. Though she was rescued by two of her colleagues, she died before any medical assistance could reach her. She was one of 23 casualties.” Bhanot determined her sacrifice as a respect and duty to protect the passengers from danger. Neerja Bhanot revealed a message to not only be kind though be selfless and brave in any situations. I’m inspired by Neerja Bhanot because her bravery and kindness has shown that a person must face their problems and know what they are doing is good for others and possibly themselves. Bhanot’s calm, brave, and determined mind had helped her to insure the passengers safety during the hijacking which made her an inspiration.

Jitesh. “Real Life Story and Biography of Neerja Bhanot.” India Study Channel, India Study

Channel, 28 Feb. 2016,

www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/168993-Real-Life-Story-and-Biography-of-Neerja-  Bhanot.aspx. Web. 25 Mar. 2019.

“Neerja Bhanot - Remembering The Brave Flight Attendant | #PowerWomanOfIndia.” UrbanTree

Blog, Team Urban Tree, 14 Mar. 2016,

blog.urbantreehomes.com/neerja-bhanot-remembering-the-brave-flight-attendant/. Web. 26 Mar. 2019.

Sahani, Alaka. “Neerja: The Sky Was Her Limit.” The Indian Express, 21 Feb. 2016,

indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/life-style/the-sky-was-her-limit/.  Web. 21 Mar. 2019.
“Story of Neerja Bhanot - Short Biography for Kids | Mocomi.” Mocomi Kids, Mocomi, 16 Nov.

2018, mocomi.com/neerja-bhanot/. Web. 22 Mar. 2019.

Neerja-In Memoriam - Neerja Bhanot was committed to protect the crew and the passengers from the terrorists. Since, the terrorists objective was to control the airplane, Bhanot remained calm, and peacefully stayed in charge.
Delhi-based activist wins Neerja Bhanot Award - A winner of the Neerja Bhanot award in 2013, Rashmi Anand explains a little about how the award has given an inspiration of Neerja Bhanot.
Survivors condemn hijacker in Pan Am massacre - One of the terrorists were trialed in U.S. and other background info has been provided based onto the terrorist. Along within the trails, some of the survivors and their families came to court and witness the trial.