Nelson Mandela

by Maelann from Merignies in France

124477African National Congresswikipédia124473Nelson MandelaPersonnes qui ont changé le mondeMy hero was a South African activist and political leader who was born in 1918, he died in 2013 at 95 years old. He took part in peaceful acts against the apartheid laws, a sort of racist separation between black and the white people so he joined the African National Congress, a socialist political party. In 1962 he was arrested for what he believed in and because he was considered like a terrorist. so he was jailed in the prison of Robben Island in very hard conditions with the registration number 46664. In the prison there was a real racism because black people are fed less than white people. 

Then, 18 years later, he was released and he decided to be candidate at the election and guess what ? He succeeded. That way, Nelson Mandela was the first black president of South Africa from 1994 to 1999.

124475speech of Nelson Mandelajoburg post For lots of people he was a symbol because of his determination and his courage. For me he was a hero for what he was fighting for and for what he proved to people. All his life he fought racism. Imagine that one man changed the mentality of a country and he will stay a symbol for the rest of the world.

His struggle is very important for me because still today racism is very present in all the world and for me this behavior is not human.