Nelson Mandela

by Johnny Zhang from Dong Guan in China

119663MandelaBecame the president I want to talk about one famous man called Nelson Mandela (1918-2013). He was the president in South Africa, Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.  Because of his contribution,the people called him The Father in South Africa. When he was young, in his country, There was great  racial segregation, the people in South Africa had the different colors, like white, black, brown and so on, at that time. They had the big conflict with each other. So he tried to mediate this problem, so it touched him, he gave up his work and tried to solve the problem, he gave a speech to appeal fair and peace, But the government sent him to jail in 1964 (at that time the white people were the head of this country, they kept the apartheid). But in the jail he still tried to recover the problem about segregation, because in the jail, the black man couldn’t have the good place to live, the guard always abused them, and gave them dirty food, and then Mandela begin to represent black prisoners,started to discuss with the guard, and helped the other people to bear the suffering. When the time passed, the guard was touched by Mandela, so they improved the prisoners’ living conditions. At that time, his reputation was growing, people started to pay attention to this issue and started to be unhappy with Mandela's imprisonment.

In 1990, his influence had spread all over the world, and people called for his release. Finally, he was released. This meant the segregation was ended. Then in after 5 years, because his contribution, people recommended to the president and he got the Nobel Peace Prize - it was the People's affirmation of him. In Hong Kong, a band used Cantonese to sing a song to honor him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwSQQoWqeBs In 2013.12.5, he died because of disease. In these days a lot of people in the world were silent for him.

Mandela has a precious character, he is particularly tolerant. When he was released, one prison guard saw him, who had abused Mandela, he wanted to get Mandela’s pardon. But Mandela just smiled, and Mandela told to the prison guard that he didn’t need to say sorry. This story touched a lot of people, including me. He  suffered from a lot, but he still kept his good character of kindness.

I think Mandela changed the world a lot, he is the hero I admire him. He spent his whole life to fight against unfairness, he always tried to solve the problem about apartheid. Although he was sent to jail, and lost the best years in his life, he still kept at it. After he was released, he became the president. When he governed, South Africa's economy started to triple. At that same time, he promoted the friendship and unity of the peoples of all countries in the world.

Although Mandela is dead, although now in South Africa(or whole Africa)there are still lots of problems, like disease and poverty, especially some people started to doubt Mandela, but his contribution will always be remembered. We should follow him, to change the world, to make it better, let the world be full of love and peace.