Filmmaker

Norman Lear: The Man Who Revolutionized American TV

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

Norman Lear changed the world. He changed it for the better, and he changed it for good

Norman Lear is a legend in the world of television, having reshaped American TV with a mix of sharp humor and bold social commentary. Born on July 27, 1922, in New Haven, Connecticut, Lear's career has spanned over seven decades. He is best known for creating some of the most influential sitcoms of the 1970s, shows that didn't just entertain but also tackled the pressing social issues of the time.

Lear received numerous accolades, including six Primetime Emmy Awards, two Peabody Awards, the National Medal of Arts in 1999, the Kennedy Center Honors in 2017, and the Golden Globe Carol Burnett Award in 2021. He was also inducted into the Television Academy Hall of Fame.

Lear was recognized for his political activism, particularly his support of liberal and progressive causes and candidates. In 1980, he established the advocacy group People for the American Way to oppose the political influence of the Christian right. In the early 2000s, he embarked on a tour showcasing a copy of the Declaration of Independence.

Military Career

Lear joined the United States Army Air Forces in September 1942. He served in the Mediterranean theater as a radio operator and gunner on Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress bombers with the 772nd Bomb Squadron, 463rd Bomb Group of the Fifteenth Air Force. In a 2014 interview, he recounted bombing missions over Germany. Lear completed 52 combat missions and was awarded the Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters. He was discharged from the Army Air Forces in 1945. 

Early Days

Lear grew up during the Great Depression in a Jewish family, an experience that would later influence his storytelling. He attended Samuel J. Tilden High School in Brooklyn, New York, and graduated from Weaver High School in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1940. He then attended Emerson College in Boston but left in 1942 to join the United States Army Air Forces where he served in the Mediterranean theater as a radio operator and gunner on Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress bombers with the 772nd Bomb Squadron, 463rd Bomb Group of the Fifteenth Air Force. In a 2014 interview, he recounted bombing missions over Germany. Lear completed 52 combat missions and was awarded the Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters. He was discharged from the Army Air Forces in 1945. 

After serving in World War II, he headed to New York and then Los Angeles, where he began his career writing for television on shows such as "The Colgate Comedy Hour" and "The Martha Raye Show," but it was in the 1970s that he truly found his stride.

168989Norman LearFlikr

Lear’s seminal breakthrough came with All in the Family, which premiered in 1971. The show was revolutionary, featuring Archie Bunker, a lovable yet deeply flawed bigot whose views often clashed with those of his more progressive family. "All in the Family" did not shy away from controversial issues such as racism, women's rights, and the Vietnam War, using comedy as a vehicle for provoking thought and discussion.

Lear's success continued with Maude, a spin-off from All in the Family, starring Bea Arthur as a forthright feminist. This was followed by The Jeffersons, another spin-off focusing on an upwardly mobile African-American family. Both shows perpetuated Lear’s tradition of addressing social issues with humor and empathy.

Other successful series followed, including Sanford and Son, One Day at a Time, and Good Times. Each of these shows brought diverse perspectives and narratives to the forefront, addressing a wide range of issues from poverty and racism to gender equality and familial dynamics.

Lear's contributions to television and society have been widely recognized, earning him numerous accolades, including several Emmy Awards, a Peabody Award, and the National Medal of Arts. In 2017, at the age of 95, he was honored with a Kennedy Center Honor, acknowledging his lifelong contributions to American culture.

Even as he approached his centenary, Norman Lear remained active in the industry. He continued to create and produce, notably spearheading the successful reboot of One Day at a Time on Netflix in 2017. This modern adaptation addressed contemporary issues such as immigration, LGBTQ rights, and mental health, demonstrating that Lear’s sharp social commentary remained pertinent.

Political and Cultural Life

Lear has long been a staunch advocate for First Amendment rights and liberal causes. Throughout his life, he has been a vocal supporter of free speech and progressive ideals. Notably, the only time Lear did not back the Democratic presidential candidate was in 1980 when he supported John Anderson over Jimmy Carter, whom he viewed as an ineffective president.

Lear was part of a group of wealthy Jewish Angelenos known as the Malibu Mafia. In the 1970s and 1980s, this group frequently discussed progressive and liberal political issues and collaborated to fund various causes. They were instrumental in funding the legal defense of Daniel Ellsberg, who released the Pentagon Papers, and provided financial support to keep the progressive magazine The Nation afloat. In 1975, they established the Energy Action Committee to counteract the influence of Big Oil's powerful lobby in Washington.

People for the American Way

In 1981, Lear founded People for the American Way (PFAW), a progressive advocacy organization created in response to the rising influence of the Christian right in politics. PFAW has been active in running advertising campaigns to oppose the integration of religion into politics. One of their significant achievements was their successful effort, alongside other like-minded groups, to block President Reagan's 1987 nomination of Robert Bork to the Supreme Court. Lear, a long-time critic of the Religious Right, advocated for the separation of church and state and the advancement of secularism.

In 1989, Lear established the Business Enterprise Trust, an educational program that highlighted exemplary social innovations in American business through annual awards, business school case studies, and videos. This initiative continued until 1998. In 1992, Lear announced a reduction in his political activism. In 2000, he endowed the Norman Lear Center at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism. This multidisciplinary research and public policy center explores the convergence of entertainment, commerce, and society.

Read The Creative Visions tribute to Norman Lear here: https://www.creativevisions.org/norman-lear-tribute and watch their interview HERE.

Find out more: https://www.normanlear.com