LESSON RESOURCE

Ocean Heroes - Short Film Screening

View the finalist films - 2019 Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award!

Protecting Blue Whales and Blue Skies

Michael Hanrahan
A collaboration of government agencies, non-profits, and private industry come together to solve the problem of commercial ships causing increased air pollution and whale strikes in the Santa Barbara Channel.

Blue Ventures

Gabriel Diamond
In 2004, realizing that conversation had to go beyond counting species, marine biologist Alasdair Harris encouraged a coastal Madagascar community to close off a small section of their octopus-fishing area for a few months, to see if this would boost productivity.

Defending The Deep

Will Parrinello
A tireless defender of the oceans and marine life, Claire Nouvian led a focused, data-driven advocacy campaign against the destructive fishing practice of deep-sea bottom trawling, successfully pressuring French supermarket giant and fleet owner Intermarché to change its fishing practices. Her coalition of advocates ultimately secured French support for a ban on deep-sea bottom trawling that led to an EU-wide ban.

Fragile - Why Turtle Hatchlings need the Sea

Hendrik S. Schmitt
The life cycle of a marine turtle is complex. Nowadays, they are facing challenging changes to their habitats and encounter all kinds new dangers imposed upon them by modern humans. All sea turtle species are threatened with extinction.

Coral Reefs - Live below the surface

Hendrik S. Schmitt
Join us on a journey through the Coral Triangle and its magnificent coral reefs. These underwater gardens have the largest biodiversity of life on Earth and can only be compared to tropical rainforests.

Living with the oceans

Nicky Milne
A fishing community in Madagascar learns sustainable methods in order to become stewards for the ocean that provides their livelihood.

About the Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award

Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award Sizzle

Produced by:Hila Hamidi
One World One Ocean Sponsors the Ocean Conservation Award in the MY HERO International Film Festival with a 500.00 prize!
Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award - Call for Entries
Credit: myhero

Organizer created on 5/15/2019 7:19:12 PM by Wendy Milette

Last edited 12/22/2020 11:25:54 AM by Laura Nietzer