Omar Sharif

by Dany Youssef from San Diego, California in United States

Successful people are not gifted, they just work hard, then succeed on purpose. 

-Omar Sharif

125071Omar Sharif www.independent.co.uk“Work gets in the way of living”(Omar Sharif). Omar Sharif, an Egyptian actor, showed others if you do what yo love every single day, you won’t have to work a single day in your life and will live life to the fullest. He was willing to do whatever it took to achieve what every Egyptian thought to be the impossible at the time. Omar Sharif was born in Alexandria, Egypt on April 10, 1932. He was able to attend an English boarding school as a kid to find his passion for theater. In the late 1950s Sharif moved to America to go from an Egyptian film star and become an American film star too. Sharif was fearless and not afraid of failing, He too risks that no one else took and always focused on the bright side. In 1962, He was in the movie “Lawrence of Arabia” and was nominated for an Oscar for best supporting actor. Sharif was a man with purpose in his mind because he didn’t just become a film star for the fame or money, but to inspire other foreigners like him to take big risks to some day reach a goal for your career. Omar Sharif was a famous Egyptian actor that showed diversity within theater and film because he lived with a place in the world and wasn’t afraid of failing or taking the biggest risks.

125099Omar Sharif with his wife Faten Hamamahttps://dunyanews.tv
Omar Sharif was known across America for living with a purpose for himself and others. He showed it by being side by side with the biggest actors in the 1950s and the 1960s. He was already famous back in Egypt, but wanted his name to be bigger As Sharif continued in his acting career. Later in the years during the 1980s, Sharif started to lose his passion and purpose in American theater.”I might have been happier having stayed an Egyptian film star”(“Al Jazeera”). Sharif started to lose his love for movies in America because it started to be more about propaganda than entertainment. Sharif started to regret coming to America for acting because workers wouldn’t treat him so nice because of his race. Sharif stayed true to himself and didn’t listen to the discouraging people around him. Sharif was different from others, he dealt with situations differently by always looking at the bright side and putting some motivation in himself everyday he wakes up. This connects to how Sharif had his own place in the world and his own unique purpose by defeating everyone’s opinion of Omar Sharif and staying positive to himself. Omar Sharif was a happy guy, always staying true to himself and not caring what others have to say about him. Sharif would soon find passion and purpose for other things later in his lifetime. After his divorce with Faten Hamama in 1974, Sharif started to be in less movies than usual and started to help others try and help achieve their goals just like his own mother helped him: “I was a fat little boy when I was 10 years old! My mother, who didn’t speak any English at all” said, “I know the only thing is to put him in an English Boarding school, the food will be so horrible that he will lose his weight”(“Michael Chalhoub”). If Sharif’s mom didn’t rush him to do his test, he would have been a lot different now and probably wouldn’t have been able get to where he is today. Sharif’s mom helped him get out of tough situations when he was a young 10 year old. Sharif wasn’t always the same when he was today, he went through hard life situations just like we do. Sharif’s mom was different from any other mom, when she saw her son in trouble, she sent him to boarding school than actually helping him, which is also weird at the same time. This connects back to the criteria because when he lost his passion in theater, he just started helping out people that needed it. Sharif would have never spoken English or become how he acts today. That’s why he found purpose in helping others, just like his mom helped him. During 2005 Sharif received the Inaugural Serge: Einstein Medal by the UNESCO for his significant contributions for his cultural diversity because he showed new ways movies can be made and can be changed to movies about foreign countries. The change of diversity helped film producers find actors other than white (most actor were white back in the 60s 70s and 80s and still is today) so sharif was always up for a movie role. Sharif found a new purpose right after he lost his purpose on theater, which means he never gave up and lived life to the fullest.

125125Omar Sharif in one of his last movieswww.rogerebert.comSharif wasn’t afraid of failing and didn’t care how big were the risks he took risks he took, instead he did what was thought to be the Impossible. When Sharif made the choice to move to America, He knew he was taking a big risk, but he didn’t focus on the failures and told himself he’s going to be in so many movies when he gets there and he was right, he was in over 100 movies his whole career:” I was a hard working man tried my best and never gave up, but on the way, I needed some luck”(“Edridge”). For a foreigner like Omar Sharif, he needed luck especially when trying to become a film star in America during the 1950s. Sharif always wanted to go further in his career and never had the choice to give up and always worked harder. This reveals that Omar Sharif was a hard worker living for himself and others and not letting those people down. He was unique in his own way, no matter what point he got in life, he always wanted to be bigger, wiser, and the best every day. This shows that Sharif wasn’t afraid of failing and always wanted to inspire others to try and take big risks one day. Instead, people saw him as a brave man to become the first Egyptian to become an American film star too because he wanted to show others what taking big risks are and inspired him to do the same. Later in life Sharif found it hard to be in a movie because the movies started to mostly be about america’s own society and not other societies, but still he tried and his best and never gave up because he wasn’t the type of person who gave up easily. “Making films about their own societies. There was no room for a foreigner, so suddenly there was no more parts for him to act”(Al Jazeera). In the late 1960s, until 2015 when he died, he has been in more than 50 movies. This information shows that nothing could stop Sharif and didn’t want to fail. In the quote, it sounded like sharif’s career was over because of the movies America started to make. This revealed that Omar Sharif that Sharif wasn’t like other people, he never gave up and continued to be in movie business. He dealt with his situations differently and easier than others by showing others that he would always try his best no matter what the situation. This connects back to the criteria because Omar showed his strength by being not afraid of failing. He ended his career with 12 awards and wouldn’t have gotten if it wasn’t for his hard work and dedication because without them, Omar Sharif wouldn’t be same because that was a big part of him. Sharif wasn’t afraid of failing at all and never gave up when people told him to. Omar Sharif was a man that followed his dreams and succeed and he did what no other Egyptian did, showing that he was dedicated and hard working.

125133Omar Sharif in his last yearswww.dawn.comOmar Sharif found his for making films and becoming a star and wasn’t afraid of taking risks. He showed diversity in theater and film by the first and only Egyptian at the time to show his culture and give the audience a quick change of movies to show Omar Sharif on big screen and now to be called and Egyptian Legend. Sharif took his biggest risk when he moved to America. Others thought he would fail easily in life because of the big risk he is taking, but he didn’t listen to them. He was a hero by many and didn’t fail them at all because he succeeded in life and inspired many people to try and take big risks like him one day. Google contributed him on his 86th birthday (He died at 83) for his diverse culture shown on television. Omar Sharif inspired others to do what no other Egyptian did and become a Hollywood sensation. He taught people not to listen to what their enemies have to say about you and continue doing what you love to do. Because if you listen to the bad things people have to say about you, then you are missing on who you actually are and missing out in life. People called him an Egyptian Legend because he tried new things that no else thought of at the time, others call him the best actor for some of his comedy and love shown on T.V. I will remember as the first Egyptian actor who took the American big screen because he did it without fear and inspired people to someday reach what other people think is impossible just like Omar Sharif did.

Al Jazeera. “Omar Sharif: Why Google Honours Him Today.” Israeli–Palestinian Conflict | Al Jazeera, Al Jazeera, 10 Apr. 2018, www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/omar-sharif-google-honours-today-180409133500820.html.

Eldridge, Alison. “Omar Sharif Website.”

Https://Www.britannica.com/Biography/Omar-Sharif.

"Michael Chalhoub." Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2004. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/H1000016882/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=f93e2162. Accessed 14 May 2018.

"Omar Sharif." International Dictionary of Films and Filmmakers, vol. 3, Gale, 2000. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1641401174/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=39a0afc2. Accessed 10 May 2018.