Oprah Winfrey

by Sabrina Millican from San Diego, California in United States

Imagine being a South African woman, looking and longing to have an education, wanting to learn and explore. Oprah Winfrey shows compassion, and builds a school in order to provide a new life for many young women in South Africa. Oprah Winfrey inspires others to take action for what they believe in. Oprah is a brave and courageous woman who endured many childhood cruelties. Born to a poor family in Opra, Mississippi, she constantly alternated living between relatives. Oprah lived in an abusive household where she was often neglected and abused. She became pregnant at age 14 and gave birth to a son, who died within a few weeks. Despite all of this she persisted, and through these hardships found ways to reach out and help make a difference. A true hero exhibits the characteristics of selflessness, compassion and wants to create change that will impact others. Oprah Winfrey was not only strong and brave during her rough childhood but, continues to grow as a selfless and compassionate woman making a difference in the world.

123221Oprah Winfreyvariety.comOprah Winfrey’s selfless acts influence society and inspire other to do good for the world. Oprah believes actions influence and inspire others to help improve the world. She believes if you set a good example, others will follow: “You get from the world what you give to the world” (Oprah Winfrey). Oprah has been successful in her endeavours. She has created many charities and foundations to change the world. Oprah is passionate about helping others, and has been awarded for her outstanding humanitarian work. She received the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award for her cultural and social impact on the world. Oprah not only is a woman with great influence but, she displays compassion for others: “On January 2, 2007 opens the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for girls in South Africa” (Krohn). Oprah’s compassion has changed the lives of many young women in South Africa. Oprah’s academy has allowed thousands of women to have an education. Oprah has collected over 140 million dollars for the young women. Oprah’s goal in life is to change the world. Not only is Oprah a selfless and compassionate woman, but she continues to create societal change.

123232Oprah Winfrey with the girls from her leadership academy in South AfricaOprah.comOprah Winfrey’s ambitious drive has lead her to honors and awards. Oprah has created many foundations that have influenced society to help and take leadership. “Oprah’s Angel Network a public charity formed in 1998, was established to encourage people around the world to make a difference in the lives of others¨(www.oprah.com/pressroom). Oprah’s angelic works have impacted the way people view her. She is seen as a very influential person. Oprah’s Angel Network has been very successful. This network has provided more than a million dollars to schools for supplies and other necessary items. On top of all that, Oprah has also created magazines and books. “Also in 2000 Winfrey digressed into magazine publishing with the launch of her magazine, "O,The Oprah Magazine, For Women"; and in 2001 her name appeared on the list of the ten most influential people in publishing as compiled by Book Magazine”(Oprah Winfrey. Contemporary Black Biography, vol. 61, Gale, 2007). Oprah’s magazine has inspired millions of  people. When she first came out with the magazine it was aired on her world-renowned television show. Ever since the release, she has inspired women to be themselves. She talks about all the problems women face and gives advice. Oprah is determined to make a difference and impact others, she has revolutionized the world.

Oprah’s acts have proven that she is selfless, compassionate, and makes a difference in the world. Her awards, honors, and charities have impacted so many people because of her kind heart. Oprah is inspirational because she cares for people like no other, and is extremely generous to the less fortunate. Oprah Winfrey is a selfless, compassionate, and kind hearted person who has changed the lives for many people, thus embodying the traits of a hero.

Krohn, Katherine E. Oprah Winfrey: Global Media Leader. Twenty-First Century Books, 2009.

"Oprah Winfrey." Contemporary Black Biography, vol. 61, Gale, 2007. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1606003719/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=1f2d1734. Accessed 28 Mar. 2018.    

Winfrey, Oprah G. “Oprah's Angel Network Fact Sheet.”

Oprah.com, www.oprah.com/pressroom/about-oprahs-angel-network.    

Oprah Winfrey Biography - Click here to learn more
Oprah Winfrey's Greatest Accomplishments - Click here to learn more