Alfred P. Sloan Foundation

Thanks to a grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, MY HERO has been able to increase the number of science profiles on the Web site, including women and underrepresented minorities.

Earth & Sky, Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), Office of Science Education and Office of Research on Women's Health, National Institute of Health, Sea Studios Foundation

Ameen Abdulrasool

By: David Kemker
Ameen Abdulrasool is a young inventor who developed a portable navigation system for the blind.

Andrea Mia Ghez

By: Jennifer Lauren Lee
Andrea Mia Ghez is an astrophysicist best known for her discoveries about the black hole at the center of our galaxy.

Audrey Penn: Just Do It

By: Nancy Touchette, Ph.D.
Audrey Penn: Just Do It is a medical doctor who has devoted herself to studying diseases that affect muscle control.

Beth Rickard Environmentalist

By: Wendy Jewell
Beth Rickard Environmentalist is an advocate of solar as the energy of the future.

Christiane Nusslein-Volhard

By: Nat Johnson
Christiane Nusslein-Volhard is a Nobel Prize winner and pioneer genetic researcher.

Claudia Gerwin: Keeping the Neurons Firing

By: Nancy Touchette, Ph.D.<br><h5>Permission to use this material was granted by...
Claudia Gerwin: Keeping the Neurons Firing researches how nerve cells relay messages to each other.

Connie Samaras

By: Jonathan Cohen
Connie Samaras has created media archives for deep space voyages.

Cristina Diaz: Biologist

By: Sea Studios Foundation <h5>Permission to use this material was granted by th...
Cristina Diaz: Biologist studies intertidal and tropical sponges.

Dame Cicely Saunders

By: Barbara Field
Dame Cicely Saunders founded the modern hospice to provide compassionate, holistic care to the dying.

Dr. Elvia Niebla
Soil Scientist

By: SACNAS Biography Project<br><h5>Reprinted by permission of Society for Advan...
Dr. Elvia Niebla Soil Scientist is dedicated to soil conservation.

Dr. France Cordova

By: Barbara Field
Dr. France Cordova is a renowned astrophysicist who has broken gender and cultural barriers.

Dr. Ines Cifuentes Seismologist

By: <a href="http://bio.sacnas.org/biography/default.asp" target="blank">SACNAS ...
Dr. Ines Cifuentes Seismologist works to improve science programs for students in Washington, DC.

Dr. Karen Plaut

By: Lauren Zeranski
Dr. Karen Plaut has been a pioneer in animal science research.

Dr. Kristi Curry-Rogers

By: Wendy Jewell
Dr. Kristi Curry-Rogers is an accomplished paleontologist who travels the globe in search of dinosaur digs.

Dr. Michael DeBakey

By: David Kemker
Dr. Michael DeBakey is the father of modern open-heart surgery.

Dr. Paul Farmer

By: Joyce from San Diego
Dr. Paul Farmer has dedicated his life to treating people in the poorest nations in the world.

Dr. Paul Farmer

By: Trinity West

Dr. Richard Murphy Marine Biologist

By: Wendy Jewell
Dr. Richard Murphy Marine Biologist educates others about the sea and ways to protect the oceans for the future.

Dr. Rosalie Bertell
Anti-Nuclear Nun

By: Wendy Jewell

"We have to be part of something larger than ourselves, because our dreams are often bigger than our lifetimes. Religion has a profound effect on our staying power." Rosalie Bertell

Dr. Sara W. Lazar Neuroscientist - Meditator

By: Wendy Jewell
Dr. Sara W. Lazar Neuroscientist - Meditator researches the effects of meditation on the brain.

Dr. Sue Savage-Rumbaugh

By: Wendy Jewell
Dr. Sue Savage-Rumbaugh is a scientist dedicated to the study and conservation of bonobos.

Dr. Susan Love

By: Elizabeth Epstein from L.A.
Dr. Susan Love is committed to women's health issues.

Dr. Zeda Rosenberg

By: David Kemker
Dr. Zeda Rosenberg is working to protect women from HIV/AIDS.

Erich Jarvis

By: Lauren Zeranski
Erich Jarvis observes song birds and uses his training with molecular biology to learn about brain behavior.

Fati Kirakoya

By: Wendy Jewell
Fati Kirakoya is a researcher committed to finding solutions to end HIV/AIDS.

Dr. Liang Congjie and Friends of Nature

By: Wendy Jewell
Dr. Liang Congjie and Friends of Nature: was a voice for China's environment.

Gail Kaaialii: Biologist

Gail Kaaialii: Biologist investigates the origins of life and helps others value all life forms.

Gina Gallant

By: Wendy Jewell
Gina Gallant is an inventor whose passion is protecting the environment.

Irene Curie

By: Lauren Zeranski
Irene Curie was the second woman in history to win the Nobel Prize in science; the first woman was her mother, Marie.

Jean-Michel Cousteau

By: Slater
Jean-Michel Cousteau is committed to protecting the ocean for future generations through education and conservation.

Kathy Sullivan

By: Raquel Diaz-Sprague<br><h5> Reprinted with permission from <br>the <a href=h...
Kathy Sullivan was the first American woman to walk in space.

Luz Maria Rodriguez-Fernandez

By: Nancy Touchette, Ph.D.
Luz Maria Rodriguez-Fernandez conducts cancer research to help understand the disease process.

Marie Curie

By: Barbara Goldsmith
Marie Curie discovered radioactivity as an atomic property, opening the door to 20th century science.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas
By: "Friends of the Everglades"<br><h5>Permission to use this material was grant...
Marjory Stoneman Douglas was instrumental in preserving the Florida Everglades.

Mrs. Mei Ng: Friends of the Earth (Hong Kong)

By: Wendy Jewell
Mrs. Mei Ng: Friends of the Earth (Hong Kong) uses education to foster environmental awareness in China

Paul Munsen Solar Oven Man

By: Wendy Jewell
Paul Munsen Solar Oven Man manufactures sun ovens, which harness the sun's rays to provide an environmentally safe source of energy.

Sasha Earnheart-Gold

By: Wendy Jewell
"Be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Tania Ruiz

By: Star Lawrence<br> <h5>Originally published on the <b>Minority Scientists Net...
Tania Ruiz is an astrophysicist committed to science education and helping women reach their goals.

Tom Chau
Biomedical Engineer

By: Wendy Jewell
Tom Chau Biomedical Engineer uses science and technology to maximize opportunities for people with disabilities.

Zohra Ben Lakhdar

By: Wendy Jewell
Zohra Ben Lakhdar is a physicist from Africa who does research on atomic spectroscopy.

Organizer created on 10/27/2011 6:16:09 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 12/23/2018 11:45:14 PM by Anthony Pouw