Malala Yousafzai

MY HERO celebrates the courage and strong principles of education advocate Malala Yousafzai, who stood up to the Taliban and fought for girls' right to education.

Malala Yousafzai

By: Jane Wallace, professional contributor

"Malala has been called the bravest girl in the world because she kept going to that school despite the death threats that kept coming under her family's door."

Malala is the youngest person to win a Nobel Peace Prize, and on June 19, 2020, she received her degree from Oxford University.

Film

MY HERO Suggested Video

Malala Yousafzai | The Youngest Nobel Prize Winner | #SeeHer Story by Katie Couric

At only 22 years old, Malala Yousafzai has made a name for herself as one of the most influential champions of female education in the world.

Malala has made such a remarkable impact on education; the films about her are used in classrooms around the world. Enjoy these tributes to Malala. The feature film He Named Me Malala is a fantastic piece of work to study in the classroom. See lesson plans and study guides in the links below the trailer.

He Named Me Malala - Official Trailer

Produced by:Laurie MacDonald

This documentary is a portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai. It documents her personal life and her inspiring journey as an activist.

Lessons included in this guide are meant to be used both before and after showing the film, to give students context, to interpret the film, and to examine the issues that Malala Yousafzai cares so passionately about.

He Named Me Malala - Film Curriculum
Credit: journeysinfilm.org

He Named Me Malala - Lesson Plans from Journeys in Film

This discussion guide gives you the opportunity to continue Malala's work: to learn about the status of girls' education in the world today, to discuss what you have read about girls' education, to explore resources to learn more, and to seek ways to make a change in your own community and in the wider world.

He Named Me Malala - Film Discussion Guide
Credit: journeysinfilm.org

Malala Yousafzai - 2012

Producer: MY HERO & The Pihcintu Multicultural Chorus

In honor of Malala Yousafzai, the Pihcintu Multicultural Chorus performs Malala's Song. The 2012 MY HERO International Film Festival was dedicated to this courageous young activist for her vision of a more free and peaceful world, and the will to achieve it.

Faith Middleton - Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame

Produced by:Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame

Faith Middleton accepts her 2012 induction, using the story of Malala Yousufzai to underscore the importance of inspiring and encouraging women and girls to use their voices to affect change.

Student Stories Celebrating Malala from Around the World

Malala Yousafzai

By: Kaylee Meier

Malala Yousafzai

By: Harper from Kosovo

"Malala’s biggest accomplishment in life was that after she got shot she would still fight for education and would not give up, even if that meant getting hurt again." 

Malala Yousafzai

By: Lucia from Taiwan

"Due to her bravery and power, people started to value issues for the nearly 600,000 out-of-school children worldwide."

Malala Yousafzai

By: Anne Flythe from the United States

"Through activism and confidence, people like Malala Yousafzai could overcome these tests of character and pursue their passions through drawing attention to the problem they wish to fix."

Malala Yousafzai

By: Marta from Croatia

"She gives people opportunities to do some amazing things, like learn, love, and laugh."

Malala Yousafzai

By: Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn McFarland was a finalist in the Mattie T.J. Stepanek Poetry Contest for her poem about Malala: Fought for peace, /Justice and truth, /Wanted to do more, /To educate youth.

Kaitlyn was a finalist in the Mattie J.T. Stepanek Poetry Contest for her poem about Malala

Student and professional artists are inspired by the young activist Malala Yousafzai

Malala Yousafzai's activism at an early age has inspired a variety of portraits commemorate her work. Through these portraits we see both her youth and her bravery in the face of adversity. 

Malala

By: Marilyn Huerta

An artist activist from San Diego, California, honors Malala in this tender portrait.

Malala Yousafzai

By: Avery

Malala has really impressed this student, with her bravery and unselfish nature. She acts courageously to help other young women.

Malala

By: Nina Falaise Cooper

International artists like Nina Cooper celebrate Malala's courage, fierce bravery and determination, in unique representations.

Malala

By: Sophia Schaefer, Boys & Girls Club, LB

Malala, Advocate for Global Girls Education, is painted simply and directly by a young girl from Laguna Beach, California.

Malala SDGs 17, 5 and 4

By: Arushi V.
This poster shows us a representation of the activist Malala, who worked to try to give girls in Pakistan the opportunity to go to school. Malala was born in a place where girls were unable to get an education.

Malala

By: Chetan Veeramachaneni
"Malala" by student artist Chetan Veeramachaneni

Malala Yousafzai

By: Siyona Bhandari

Malala

By: Kedaton Campbell

Malala Yousafzai

By: Annika Shah
Malala continued to share her message of peace and education throughout the world, and meeting many different special people.

Malala

By: Sara
Celebrating Malala's activism.

Malala Yousafzai

By: Vaanya Modalla
"Malala" by Poonam Yadav, student artist.

The following song was commissioned by the Cornell University Chorus, Robert Isaacs, conductor, Adrienne Albert, composer. 

"Malala"

By: Adrienne Albert composer

This song was commissioned by Cornell University Chorus, Robert Isaacs, conductor, Adrienne Albert, composer. 

Call to Action

Journeys in Film harnesses the storytelling power of film to educate the most visually literate generation in history.

Journeys In Film
Credit: journeysinfilm.org

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editors Deborah Neff and Abigail Richardson. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 10/2/2013 12:45:06 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 4/2/2022 6:11:52 AM by Abigail Richardson