Oskar Schindler

by Chloe Flynn from San Diego, California in United States

"I had to help them, there was no choice." -Oskar Schindler

An Unlikely Hero

He was considered the “unlikeliest of heroes—indifferent to religion and politics, partial to gambling and drinking, and not averse to skirting the law in his many business ventures. Yet to the eleven hundred Jews whose lives he saved during World War II, he was nothing less than a saint” (“Oskar Schindler” Encyclopedia). Oskar Schindler was a German industrialist and a member of the Nazi party. When this party embraced a policy that called for the extermination of Jews, Oskar Schindler followed his conscience and devised a plan to save as many Jews as he could. He was born in the Austro-Hungarian Empire which was very industrial at the time. Schindler’s father owned a factory that manufactured farm equipment, which inspired Schindler to study engineering (Baderschter). Because of this, Schindler was able to formulate a plan to save 1,200 Jews by employing them in his ammunition and enamelware factory.  He compiled a list of names which consisted of 1,200 of his workers to save them from being transferred to a concentration camp so that they can work in his factory. This list of Jewish workers is also known as “Schindler’s list.” Oskar Schindler’s selfless acts and bravery deem him an inspirational hero.

132381Oskar SchindlerYad Vashem [Public domain]Oskar Schindler’s will to help others in need, and putting himself in danger for the safety of the Jewish people prove him to be incredibly selfless. Though he initially supported some of the ideals of the Nazi party, the increasing violence against German minorities changed his perspective. “Schindler gradually became disgusted by the Nazis’ brutality. In 1942, the Nazis murdered thousands of Jews while trying to take them to the Plaszow concentration camp. Schindler, who witnessed this event, sought to have around 900 Jews transferred from the camp to his neighboring factory” (Badertscher). Schindler understood how cruel the Nazis were being and employed nearly 1,000 Jews in his factory so they could escape the ruthless concentration camps. His factory was, in fact, only a cover up to keep the Jews out of harm’s way. A quote from Oskar Schindler by Bruce Thompson states: “...Schindler purchased munitions at black market prices from other factories and resold them, often at a loss, to the German Armaries Ministry. This created the illusion that the factory was in production” (16). Schindler did not have the intention to use the Jews for cheap labor, he simply wanted to keep them safe. His factory was only used to disguise a temporary safe-haven for them. The weaponry being produced in the factory were meant to be unsuccessful, as stated in this quote: “Those who reached the camp spent the remaining months of the war manufacturing munitions that were rigged to fail. A final head count compiled at this time listed 1,098 Jews at the camp” (Pallardy). The munitions being created in the factory were set up to fail, so the Jews working would not help the Nazis benefit from the weaponry being produced. Of all of the acts that Oskar Schindler did, these were the most selfless. He used his money and time to create an illusion of an enamelware and ammunitions factory.

Despite knowing the trouble he would get in, Oskar Schindler used bribes and his cleverness to save Jews from the gas chambers, showing without doubt that he is a brave man. His factory soon got decommissioned, and Schindler re-opened it in Brnĕnec which was closer to his hometown. The Jews previously working in his factory now were faced with the problem of being sent to the concentration camps. Schindler had a plan to solve that: “After some money exchanged hands, the SS officer agreed to throw his support behind the plan and told Schindler to draw up a list of those people he wanted to take with him.” (“Oskar Schindler Encyclopedia). Using bribery, he got the SS officers to support his plan of creating a list of Jews who would be given the opportunity to work in the factory. Schindler not only protected the Jews, he, along with his wife helped take care of them. A quote from “Oskar Schindler” By UXL states how the Schindlers helped the Jews: "The women and children were in terrible condition when they arrived and the Schindlers nursed them back to health. The couple lived in fear of what would happen if the Nazis found out that they were helping the Jews by giving them extra food and medicine. Although the Schindlers had been provided with a handsome apartment in the town, they chose to live in two rooms in the factory to be available to the Jews if trouble broke out." It was incredibly courageous of Schindler and his wife to help nurse the sick and injured back to health. They knew the trouble they would get in if they were caught, but they did it anyway because they knew it was right. Living in constant fear of being caught as a traitor to the Nazi party, Oskar Schindler followed his own moral path. He is honored as a Righteous Gentile to Jews and non-Jews alike, and a brave hero by many.

132435Oskar Schindler QuoteChloe FOskar Schindler’s brave actions and selfless deeds prove him to be an inspirational man. He risked his life and everything he had for the safety of his workers. He cared for them, nurtured them, and made sure that they were not to be harmed. He put others before himself, and that in itself is such an inspiration because it shows that we can always become better people. Schindler himself stated: "I just couldn't stand by and see people destroyed. I did ... what my conscience told me I must do” (“Oskar Schindler” UXL). Personally, Oskar Schindler inspires me to help others. His story is so meaningful because of his altruism and courage while facing the dangers of getting caught. Instead of following what the other Nazis did, he decided to do what he knew was right. He impacted so many Jewish men, women, and children who would have most likely been killed. Oskar Schindler is an “unlikely hero.” He gambled, drank and broke the law numerous times.  He was also a man with a heart made of gold and, because of what he did, many got the chance to live the rest of their lives forever touched by what he had done for them and their families.

Badertscher, Eric. “Oskar Schindler.” Oskar Schindler, Aug. 2017, p. 1. EBSCOhost,

search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=b6h&AN=15316287&site=ehost-live.

"Oskar Schindler." Encyclopedia of World Biography, vol. 18, Gale, 1998. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631005876/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=4f50fa5d. Accessed 25 Mar. 2019.

"Oskar Schindler." UXL Biographies, UXL, 2011. Student Resources In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/EJ2108102040/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid

=8acf92fd. Accessed 21 Mar. 2019.

Pallardy, Richard. “Oskar Schindler.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 20 Dec. 2018, https://www.britannica.com/biography/Oskar-Schindler.%20https://www.britannica.com/biography/Oskar-Schindler.

Thompson, Bruce E. R. Oskar Schindler. Greenhaven Press, 2002.

Oskar Schindler Quotes - These are some important quotes that were once said by Oskar Schindler. They were about why he helped the Jews.
Schindler's List - This is the list of the many people Schindler saved.
A Duffel Bag From Oskar Schindler - This website talks about how Oskar Schindler helped the Jews when the war was about to end, giving them duffle bags with basic necessities and Vodka to trade for food.
Schindler's Ring - This article is about the ring Schindler was given as a thank you from the Jews.