Jesse Owens

by Adrian from Hazel Green, Alabama

" Find the good. It's all around you. Find it, showcase it and you'll start believing in it."
Jesse Owens in the 100-yard dash (faculty.washington.edu/.../owens_jesse.jpg)

Jesse Owens is a hero because he has inspired all of mankind regardless of height, weight, or race. He has made it possible for anyone with the slightest talent or craft to have the courage to showcase it, and be great at what they do. Jesse has proven his worth among some of the best athletes in the world by showcasing his magnificent running abilities while overcoming adversity

Jesse owens Preparing for a race (www.lecter.net)

James "Jesse" Cleveland Owens was born on September 12, 1913 in Danville Alabama. Owens was the seventh of eleven children, and his family was desperately poor. Jesse's parents were sharecroppers, which meant Jesse had to pick cotton at the age of seven. Jesse Owens was very thin and frail, and he almost died many times of pneumonia.

Jesse Owens was a very selfless human being. In high school, Owens was an exceptional runner, but rather than be on the track team, he found a job to support his family. Jesse would usually have two or three jobs at a time, but he never complained. Owens actually credited some of his ability to his grocery delivery job. While delivering Owens would often run to every house. One day Charles Riley, the track coach at the high school which Owens attended, persuaded him to be on the track team. To juggle track and his jobs Owens came to school an hour early. While still in high school Owens tied the world record in the 100-yard dash, and the long long-jump. This was an incredible feat, considering the men that set those records had been training all their life.

Jesse Owens memoralized in a stamp (www.answers.com)

Jesse's track abilities were recognized nationally. Owens' coach arranged for him to go to Ohio State University, but Owens wouldn't accept unless his fatehr was given a permanent state job. Owens flourished at Ohio State, breaking several college records. Owens left college early to compete in the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin. Owens did what many would never dream of doing; he competed in a country where his race was considered inferior, and won four gold medals.

I believe Jesse Owens fits all the descriptions of a hero. He has inspired all who thought they would never make it in life because of their background or ethnicity.

The official Jesse Owens Website - This site clebrates the life of Jesse Owens
history of Jesse Owens - This site tells about the history of jesse owens
The Jesse Owens Museum - My hero's memorial
The Jesse Owens Foundation - My hero's Charity foundation
A&E Biography - My hero's biography