Paul Harris

by World Council from Southern Ontario, Canada

144800

Paul Harris

My Passion:

I believe that the spirit of service can redeem the world, and that goodwill and understanding

are the keys to world peace. We all long for fellowship, and I believe that the great power of friendship

can be harnessed to do its part in the world’s work.

144801Paul HarrisImage courtesy of World Council 

During my lifetime, I was committed to building friendships and being of service.

This commitment led me to found Rotary International whose well-known motto of Service Above Self,

is now a shared passion of over 1.3 million neighbours, friends, and community leaders

from differing occupations, cultures and countries who come together

to create positive, lasting change in their communities and around the world.

Paul Harris Notable Quotes: 

“Friendship is a natural and willing servant. There is no reason why the great power of friendship

should not be harnessed to do its part in the world’s work.”

“All friendliness needs is a sporting chance; it will take care of itself in any company.”

“It is easier to interest men in war than in peace.

It therefore requires more moral courage to talk peace than war.”

“If Rotary is destined to be more than a mere passing thing, it will be because you and I

have learned the importance of bearing with each other’s infirmities, and the value of toleration.”

“Ideas have unhinged the gates of empires.”

“In the clashes between ignorance and intelligence, ignorance is generally the aggressor.”

“Whatever Rotary may mean to us, to the world it will be known by the results it achieves.”