Pelé

by Matthew Haymore from Burley, Idaho in United States

135942Pele trading cardUnknown author [Public domain] via WikimediaThe term "hero" is used commonly in every culture and country. People often tell stories of heroes, both real and fictional. These heroes are deeply admired for their work and courage. They do something remarkable, in selfless ways, leaving deep inspiration for anyone who hears their story. Their stories move people to do remarkable things, and become heroes themselves. Heroes are the most impactful kind of people in history. Everyone has a hero that they look up to, and want to be like. So, I'm going to share about my hero, Pelé.

Pelé was born in Três Corações, Brazil, on October 23, 1940, with the name Edson Arantes do Nascimento. His father, Joao Ramos do Nascimento, was a forward in soccer, and played for many different clubs during his career. However, he had to retire in 1952 due to injuries, and instead became a hospital cleaner. This put him, and his family in relative poverty. However, young Pelé never gave up on the soccer dream, and wanted to be like his dad was. In fact, it became his dream to win the World Cup for Brazil. One day, while his father cried over Brazil's loss in the 1950 World Cup Finals, Pelé said to him, "Don't worry. One day, I'll win it." And he was determined to keep that promise. But, since his family was in poverty, he couldn't afford a ball. So, Pelé and his friends would roll up socks and stuff them with rags or newspapers, and would kick their homemade ball down the streets. Pelé's dad became his mentor/trainer, and helped him to get really good at a young age. It wasn't long until soccer great Waldemar de Brito noticed Pelé, and started training the young athlete himself. Pelé quickly rose through youth leagues, and was signed by Santos FC when he was only fifteen. After that, he became a top scorer in all the Brazilian League and was called to play for the national team when he was seventeen. The rest is history. 

Pelé was an instant star in the world cup. He managed to score three goals in the 1958 World Cup semifinals against France, leading Brazil to the championship match. There, he scored another two against Sweden, giving Brazil a 5-2 win for their nation's first ever World Cup title. Pelé was also awarded the "Best Young Player" award. Four years later, he returned for the 1962 World Cup, but tore a thigh muscle in the second match, and was forced to sit out, supporting his team as they took their second title. Pelé worked hard to recover, and finally, in 1970, came back and lead his team yet again to the championship, and for the win. During his career, he scored 1281 goals in just 1363 games, crowning himself as the world's best soccer player to this day. 

But, soccer isn't the only reason Pelé is such a big hero. Since his retirement in 1977, he decided to try to use his fame to help many different causes that he believed in. By doing so, he has helped many organizations do things that wouldn't have been possible without him, and received awards that can't be overlooked, such as the "Unesco Goodwill Ambassador" award. On top of that, in 2018, Pelé started his own organization, the "Pelé Foundation." This foundation was made specifically to help kids around the globe with poverty and lack of education. He knows what it's like to have to grow up that way, and has devoted the rest of his life to help those kids have great opportunities like he did. 

In conclusion, Pelé was a great soccer hero and legend. He defied all odds, and was able to come out of poverty, and become the world's best player. But, he also gave back. He has spent years working to help kids that started their lives like he did. His legacy continues to live on, and will, long after he passes, in both soccer and in making a difference for the better. And that is why Pelé is my hero.

Britannica - Biography on the footballer