Daniel Smith

by Mark from Raleigh

Homosexuality has infiltrated today’s culture becoming just another part of life. Most people find nothing wrong with same-sex marriage, but some Christians with strong foundations in scripture know that homosexuality was not created by God. In Leviticus 18:22 the Bible says, “ You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.”(NKJV). About a month ago a boy, who professed to be homosexual, applied to join my friend, Daniel’s, high school Christian club. Daniel refused to allow the boy to enter the club even when the other members did not mind him joining. By standing up against the majority of the club members, Daniel’s act proved heroic.

Daniel stood up to his club, left when the members allowed the homosexual boy to join, and then came back to make a difference. When his Christian club received the application of the boy who professed to be homosexual, Daniel went before the other participants and made a speech stating the reasons the student should not join. Because speaking in front of others is not a strength belonging to Daniel, it took great courage on his part to stand up and reject what the group wanted. After the club members disagreed with Daniel, he left the group. As before, this took amazing courage and strength from Daniel because the Christian club was the only thing he enjoyed at school. Then, after withdrawing from the group, Daniel met with his pastors and discussed what had happened with the Christian organization. Using the council of his church leaders along with his own judgement, Daniel decided that the only way he could impact others in the club was to become a part of the group again. Through this difficult situation Daniel showed strength, courage, and a heart for Christ.

This act of Daniel’s has had an impact on me because I know that he has the strength to stand up for what is right. It has also shown me that Daniel has a solid foundation in scripture. Knowing this about Daniel has made my respect for him grow. I might never have found out that Daniel possessed such courage, but now I trust him even more. One day a problem like the one Daniel encountered may challenge me. My only hope is that I will have the strength and courage that Daniel had to stand up for what is right.