Spawn

by Sean

A hero is someone who a man who is admired for their courage and noble deeds; a superhero is someone who will risk their lives for the sake of humanity or a greater cause. A comic book series started out in May, 1992 about the different hellspawns that go against their masters and try to save the world that are referred to a Spawn. Spawn is a superhero-- arisen from the dead, and fighting the forces of evil from both heaven and hell: to protect humanity from apocalypse. The Spawn that the main story follows once lived as Albert Simmons, but died and was resurrected from the depths of Hell, by Malebolgia.

He also has the ability to shape shift and look like anyone he wants expect his former-living self. He has super-human strength, speed, agility, endurance and healing. He can also sense others emotions through his power of empathy and is pretty much immortal, except he can be killed with a holy weapon forged in heaven or by his own powers. His powers derive from necro-plasm and he has a meter that starts at 9, 999 and is drained whenever he uses he uses necro-energy. To replenish his meter he feeds off of the evil energy in the world, which includes people and what are considered "dark animals" (rats, bats, roaches, wolves, snakes, etc.). His outfit is living an ecroplasm-based symbiotic suit, named Leetha of the 7th house of K, which is bonded to his central nervous system, so it can physically manipulate his mind. Spawn also has a large arsenal of artillery he can use instead of his magical necro powers.

Spawns are hellspawn, made in Hell to join in an army that is built to fight against Heaven in their seemingly never ending war, that rebel and use their powers to help mankind. Though there are many different people who were once Spawn, Al Simmons was the most notable and the comic book series revolved mainly around him and his attempt to stop Armageddon.

When he was alive he was known as Albert Francis Simmons, residing in Detroit, Michigan. He was an officer in the US Marine Corps where he achieved ranks of Lieutenant Colonel, later joining the US Secret Services and from there transferring to the CIA into a top-secret covert ops division known as the U.S. Security Group as an assassin. Al was a violent person since childhood, and manipulated by Malefick/Mammon, an extremely strong demon, and even murdering a drug dealer for messing with his brother when he was 19. One day goes home and beats his wife Wanda Blake in his anger towards Wynne, killing the baby she was carrying at the time and Wynne orders his assassination. When in Hell, he makes a deal with Malebolgia to be resurrected as a lieutenant in Hells army, a hellspawn. When he is resurrected he has limited memory of his previous life and is reborn as Spawn and is sent back 5 years after his death. Al wanted to visit his wife for "one final visit" and he tries to shape-shift into his former appearance but realizes he can't, he also discovers after his death she remarried to his best friends, Terry Fitzgerald and they had a daughter, Cyan, and realizes he cannot get back his former life. With nothing left in the world for him, Spawn must decided on one of two things, follow Malebolgia and bring about Armageddon, or fight against him to prevent the apocalypse.

The reason he is my hero and what he's done to make me believe so is his willpower and moral values. Once he found out that he lost everything that he wanted to be revived for, he could've easily chosen to side with Malebolgia and brought about the end of the world. Instead he chooses to road less traveled and fights against his former "master", and takes on the grueling task of fighting off forces from Hell as well as Heaven to prevent the end of the world. When he first realizes that he can't go back to his old life, he becomes an anti-hero. He stops evil, but kills those who are responsible and is without a moral code. With guidance from an old homeless man, Cogliostro (who is later known to be a former hellspawn who also defied Malebolgia, but also Cain, who used Spawn so he could take over Hell) he teaches spawn about this new life he is to embark on and tries to get him to use his powers for good, while a minion of Malebolgia, Clown (otherwise know as Violator), tries to convince him to rejoin Malebolgia. Though he uses his powers for good, because Spawn is an abomination created from hell for the purpose of opposing the Heavens in their war against Hell, countless foes are sent after Spawn to kill him like: Celestine, Angela, many Redeemers (Anti-Spawns), the 12 Disciples, Zera and even God himself.

Spawn defies Malebolgia who gave him life when he had lost it, overcoming the temptation of destroying the world along side his master, choosing to help stop the war between Heaven and Hell that would bring about Armageddon. He shows that anyone can turn away from evil and change their fate.

Story returned, email sent /copy to teacher. 1/14/2012 rm