Michael Phelps

by Tiffany from Southbridge, Massachusetts

“You can’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get.”
Michael with his gold medal (Michael Phelps online )

Michael Phelps is my hero. To many people he is just an extraordinary swimmer, but to me, he’s an inspiration. Most people know him from his amazing performance in Athens in the 2004 Olympics, where he won six gold medals and two bronze medals. This tied the record for most medals ever won in the Olympics. In addition to his amazing performance, the world got to see his consideration when he gave up his spot on the 400 IM relay to his teammate, Ian Crocker. As well as winning medals, Michael broke Olympic and American records. He was awarded USA swimmer of the year in 2001 and 2003, and Swimmer of the Meet during the 2003 World Championships. Other awards that Michael have won are: The Sullivan Award in 2004, the American-International Athlete of the year in 2004, and the USSA Male Athlete of the year in 2003.

Michael Phelps swimming the butterfly
Michael Phelps swimming the butterfly

He was born on June 30, 1985 in Baltimore, Maryland. Throughout his life, Michael has had to overcome a lot of obstacles. When he was 7 years old, his parents, Fred and Debbie, got a divorce and Debbie and the children moved away. Michael never really saw his father or talked to him. He grew up without a father. He also had to put up with his peers' teasing remarks about his appearance. Michael turned to swimming where he felt most comfortable throughout the hardships. He put his anger and frustration to a good cause, becoming a better swimmer. Michael was the youngest male Olympian since 1934 at the 2000 Olympics when he was 15. He gave up a great deal when he turned pro when he was only 16. While many teenagers were hanging out with friends or getting ready to go to school in the morning, Michael was in the pool practicing.

Besides swimming, Michael Phelps has dedicated his time to helping others. He is a national spokesman for the Boys and Girls Club, a volunteer at the Child Life Center at John Hopkins University, an honorary board member at Pathfinders for Autism, and he visits elementary schools to help with their reading programs.

Michael Phelps after his win in the 200 IM final

Since I was 9 years old, I have been swimming competitively. Michael Phelps is a great role model for fellow swimmers like me. He works hard and never gives up on his dreams. He is a good sportsman even when he loses, and he spends what little free time he has volunteering and helping others.