Angie Pickett

by Brittany from Littleton

My hero is my godmother, Angie. She lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with her family of four girls and loving husband. She is an ER nurse at a hospital in the metro area.

The week after Christmas of 2004, as she and her family were returning to their home from Wyoming, they witnessed a serious car crash. The accident occurred in the middle of nowhere on Interstate 80 in Nebraska.

As they started to drive by and do what most people would do and just ignore the accident, or maybe call the police and report it, Angie made her husband stop the car. She got out of the car with her first aid kit and ran to help the victims of the car crash while her husband called the police. Without thinking, she started to administer first aid to the victims. She did everything she could until the police and fire department got there. She had blood smeared all over her clothes and hands. When the fire department got there, a person was still trapped inside the car. The fire department had just received a device called "The Jaws Of Life," which they had not yet learned how to use properly. Angie, having worked in a ER, showed them how to use the device and got the person out of the car.

When she returned home, she received a thank you card from the people whose lives she saved. It was addressed "To Our Angel," which is a strange coincidence because Angie is short for her name, Angel. To these people she is their angel.

I am nominating my godmother, Angie, because she is a true hero and, without her, these people without question would not still be alive today. She always puts her personal feelings aside when she is with her patients at the hospital so that they will feel better. Angie is my hero and my angel.