LESSON PLAN

Poetry Lesson Plan and Multimedia Resource

Students are invited to submit their own films and artwork illustrating an original or favorite poem. Record or film students reading poetry. Students are invited to submit their own original poems. 

Poetry Lesson Plan

Click one of the Banners Below for a 30 Minute Lesson

Poetic Cinema 30 Minute Lesson Plan
3 Poets 30 Minutes Lesson Plan

Poetic Cinema Illustrating Poetry

The following films celebrate poetic cinema. Films and poetry have a connection because of their use of images, sound, and time. As you watch these films made by both professionals and high school students, consider the techniques used by filmmakers to bring out these elements in poetry.

Still I Rise

Gabriel Diamond, Patrick Barnes, Phil Collis
A visual and musical interpretation of American poet and civil rights activist Maya Angelou’s electrifying poem "Still I Rise."

The Peace of Wild Things

Katy Wang
When despair for the world grows in me… ...I come into the peace of wild things. ~Wendell Barry

Playas de Tijuana

Sophie Kim
An inspiring poem about the border fence that meets the sea, where names become prayers and where “the worst place to be is here and not there.”

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Produced by:Taft High School

Taft High School student, Matthew Marroquin, takes on the task of illustrating this poem by Robert Frost.

The World Is Too Much With Us

Produced by:Taft High School

Taft High School student, Deana Saito, creates a beautiful visual expression of the poem by William Wordsworth.

Discussion Prompt and Student Activity

Films and poetry have a connection because of their use of images, sound, and time.
After viewing the films, discuss the techniques used by filmmakers to bring out these elements in poetry. Assign students the task of illustrating a poem. This can be done individually or in a small group. Give them the choice to write an original poem and then illustrate it, or find an existing poem that they love and illustrate that.

Poetry Recitals and Spoken Word

David Milch Reads from Deadwood at The MY HERO Project's 2015 Jazz and Poetry Salon

Produced by:The MY HERO Project

David Milch Reads The Eulogy of Wild Bill Hickok from Deadwood at The MY HERO Project's 2015 Jazz and Poetry Salon.

Paul Cummins Reads Robert Frost @ MY HERO SALON 4/18/13

Producer: MY HERO

New Visions Foundation founder, Paul Cummins, reads Robert Frost at the MY HERO poetry and jazz SALON 4/18/13.

History will be Repeated

Produced by:Trey Carlisle
Trey Carlisle's electrifying performance of his original spoken word poem promoting tolerance.

Poet Against Prejudice [Trailer]

Producer: Faiza Almontaser - Director Albert Maysles - Mentor
Created through with support from BYkids.org, Faiza shares her journey of using her poetry to fight against discrimination.

Emily Barasch Reads Fern Hill by Dylan Thomas at The MY HERO Project's 2015 Jazz and Poetry Salon

Produced by:The MY HERO PROJECT

Olivia Milch Reads Wild Geese at The MY HERO Project's 2015 Jazz and Poetry Salon

Produced by:The MY HERO Project

Olivia Milch Reads Wild Geese by Mary Oliver at The MY HERO Project's 2015 Jazz and Poetry Salon.

Student and Class Activity: Poetry Reading

Students are encouraged to read aloud an original poem or a favorite poem. Film the poetry reading and submit it to MY HERO through the Create Program.
Classes are encouraged to have a Poetry Salon with students reading original or favorite poems and filming the event to share with MY HERO. Virtual learners can have a Poetry Salon through video conferencing. 

Additional examples of MY HERO Poetry on Screen

Celebrating Poetry in Film

The MY HERO Project is inviting you to submit a video of yourself reading a poem that speaks to this new era we are in. It can be poetry of dissent, poetry of resistance, or poetry that lifts us up to face these times. It can be feminist, inclusive, or humorous. It can be a song. If you are a more ambitious filmmaker, The MY HERO Project is adding a new prize to The MY HERO International Film Festival, Poetry on Screen. The award will honor a filmmaker for the best translation of poetry to film.

Poetry on Screen

By: Wendy Milette

Artwork: Portrats of Favorite Poet Heroes

Mattie and Micah

By: Karen Derrico

Collage painting of Mattie Stepanek with his dog, Micah, donated to the 2006 Heartsongs Gala, an annual event held in Mattie's honor.

Maya Angelou

By: Sergio Benenson

Celebrating We the Future-Amanda Gorman by Kate Deciccio

By: Kate Deciccio
Amanda Gorman, Young Leader of Social Change, was named 2015 National Youth Poet Laureate and is a community leader. Art for the Amplifier Foundation.

James Baldwin by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Civil Rights activist and writer James Baldwin portrayed as an American Who Tells the Truth by Robert Shetterly

Langston Hughes

By: Robert Shetterly

Walt Whitman by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly

Profile of Fairuz

By: Sobhia Hasan

Mahmoud Darwish

By: Sobhia Hasan

Christine de Pisan

By: unknown

Allegorical Portrait of Dante

By: Bronzino

Effie Waller Smith

By: Unknown

William Butler Yeats (1865 - 1939)

By: John Singer Sargent

The Poet Max Hermann Neisse

By: George Grosz

Portrait of Rabindranath Tagore

By: Surjit Akre

The Poetry of Mihai Eminescu

By: "Group Writers" from Baicoi, Romania

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Poetry, Stories, Art, Film and Audio For Students

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Students are invited to participate in the MY HERO Poetry Contest

Poetry Contest 2022

Read about Poet Heroes - Students are invited to submit their stories about a favorite poet

Stories about Poets

Organizer created on 2/14/2022 12:25:00 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 4/4/2022 1:11:14 PM by Laura Nietzer