Albert Pujols

by Tyler from Iowa

“I try to spend as much time as possible with God and my family. That’s more important than anything I’m doing in baseball.”

With their 13th round pick of the 1999 Major League Baseball draft, the St. Louis Cardinals selected Albert Pujols out of Maple Woods Community College. I will be telling you about Albert Pujols’s great attitude on and off the field, his long journey to become a baseball player, and how he has impacted my life and why he is important to me.

Albert Pujols is a great man on and off the field. Pujols founded the Pujols Family Foundation and opened it on 5/5/05. It helps families with children who have Down syndrome and struggling families in the Dominican Republic. In 2006 he won a World Series ring with the Cardinals and also won a Gold Glove. He is a 5-time All-Star (2001-2006) and won the rookie of the year award in 2001, plus the MVP award in 2005. On April 30, 2006 Albert opened a restaurant named Pujols 5 in Maryland Heights, Missouri.

Albert Pujols has traveled a long way to be a star baseball player. On January 16, 1980 Albert Pujols was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. During the early 1990s Pujols and his family moved to New York City. Shortly after that he moved to Independence, Missouri and went to Fort Osage High School, and then went on to Maple Woods Community College. In 2000 he married his wife and they moved to Peoria, Illinois and lived their for a year. In 2001 he got called up to the big leagues and they moved to St. Louis, Missouri with his wife and three kids and have lived there ever since.

Albert Pujols is important to me because of his attitude and skill. I like how he is all about the team and not himself. Watching him play is like a gift because of his pure skill and talent. The kind of things he says and does is indicative of his great personality. He’s a very humble person and does not brag about his abilities and talents. Ever since Pujols has been in the MLB I think he has changed the face of baseball in a good way. Last but not least, he has brought the Cardinals back to their glory days.

His hard working attitude and the way he lives have made a big impact on my life. He’s showed me with hard work and determination you can do anything. Albert has showed me that just because you play Major League Baseball doesn’t mean you can forget about your family. It’s impacting to know that he is a Christian man because I’m a young Christian and when my favorite baseball player is also it’s really nice. After watching him play, he’s inspired me to do my best and try my hardest. The way he plays baseball, the way he swings the bat and fields grounders is just awesome. Lastly, he’s made a good mark on my life by playing baseball for the love of the game and not the money.

Here we are 6 years later and little did the Cardinals know that they had drafted the best baseball player today. Here’s a little piece of what I’m talking about: he’s the first player in MLB history to hit 30 home-runs or more in his first six seasons in the big leagues.