Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

by Austin Chuang from Taipei in Taiwan

134627Pyotr Ilyich TchaikovskyVasily Czechowski [Public domain]Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, known as the great "Russian Master of Music" and "Master of Melody," was the greatest Russian composer and music educator of the 19th century. During his lifetime, he created many works. Many of his works have been passed down to the present day.

Tchaikovsky was considered a musical genius. He was gentle and sentimental and had a special feeling for music. As a child, he learned piano from his mother. Afterward, he came into contact with the works of some famous European composers, such as Mozart, Rossini and so on. Sometimes he would compose music at will, showing amazing musical talent. He started playing on his own piano at home at the age of four. He could play the piano perfectly when he was 6 years old. At the age of eight, Tchaikovsky began to receive formal music education in a local school. However, his music education stopped because of his father's work.

Tchaikovky's parents made a decision for him to take a law course. Therefore, at the age of ten, he left home with his brother for St. Petersburg and entered a law school. While studying in law school, Tchaikovsky did not forget the music. When he was free, he tried to compose music. From 1853, he also studied piano and composition theory with a German teacher, Kundlinger. Tchaikovsky graduated from law school in 1859 and then entered the court as a clerk. Since Tchaikovsky was not interested in legal work, the desire to pursue music was getting increasingly stronger. In 861, he persuaded his father to let him enter the music classroom set up by the grand pianist Anton Rubinstein and to compose music with Salimba. Tchaikovsky graduated from the Music Academy in 1865 and began his musical journey.

The "Swan Lake" ballet he created in 1876, instead of a grief tone used in the tragic ending of the original story, he used a melodious, depressed and tiled way to describe a story with a perfect ending. Although this work did not get much resounding, it was later changed into a multi-language interpretation.
The melody of the world-famous "Sleeping Beauty" is believed to be familiar to everyone, and this song was completed by Tchaikovsky in 1889. This work is a suite of more than 30 songs. Tchaikovsky described the characters in a fantasy way, such as the cat wearing boots, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, and Thumbelina, by the elegant melody and bright colors. The melody of this work is used in the modern Disney cartoon "Sleeping Beauty." Even in the film "Maleficent," the song sung by the heroine Maleficent was adapted from this melody. Without a doubt, Tchaikovsky has a huge influence on modern music.

Tchaikovsky was believed to be a homosexual. As a result, he suffered a lot spiritually. However, he had an important noble person in his life, called Mrs. Meek, who financed Tchaikovsky for a while and also to gave him her spiritual support. Thanks to Mrs. Meek’s help, this great musician could continue his creation in music. In his final creation, "Sorrow," he painted a perfect ending for the master's life.

Tchaikovsky was not only successful in ballet music, but his music works are also related to literature, such as "Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture," and the symphony of "Hamlet," both of which are tributes to the great Shakespeare.

Tchaikovsky’s music melody and harmony are expressive, and the music based on the romantic style is approachable. His creations are characterized by national music but still based on romantic style. His musical styles impact many contemporary musicians to some degree. Tchaikovsky’s achievements in music are omnipresent, from drama to dance, from poetry to literature. Even now, his influence in music is still unparalleled.

Encyclopaedia Britannica - More information on Tchaikovsky