Roberto Clemente

by Kyle from Montvale

Roberto Clemente <br>(http://encarta.msn.com/media_701766672_761577710_-1_1/Roberto_Clemente.html)
Roberto Clemente
(http://encarta.msn.com/media_701766672_761577710_-1_1/Roberto_Clemente.html)

Roberto Clemente is a very special kind of hero; he has two characteristics which I believe could make a hero. He was an amazing baseball player, and he was also devoted to helping others. I think Clemente was as good as a baseball player as he was a helper. As you will find out, Clemente died helping.

Roberto was born on August 18, 1934 in Carolina, Puerto Rico. He was the youngest of seven children and everyday had to help his dad on the farm. As a child, Roberto Clemente loved baseball. Some nights he would skip meals to continue playing before it would get dark. His first bat was a piece of wood from a guava plant, the bases made of empty coffee sacks, and the ball was made of rags. Even when he wasn't playing baseball, he would squeeze a hard rubber handball to strengthen his throwing arm and hand. Roberto's love for baseball often got on his mother's nerves. One time to punish him, she started to burn his bat, but he grabbed it before it burned fully.

When Clemente was eight, his father was a hardworking man in the sugarcane fields. His dad earned four dollars a week and owned a small store. He always told Clemente, "Remember who you are. Remember where you're from. We are proud people."

In his first year with the Pirates he had an average season, batting .255 (1 hit for every 4 at bats) and had eighteen assists in the outfield. The Pirates though, came in last place in their division for their fourth year in a row. Clemente also had a rough time off the field. He was in a new city, had no friends, and spoke very little English. Even though there were several black and Latin ballplayers in MLB by this time, there was still segregation. He was segregated from places such as restaurants, water fountains, and buses. Clemente often heard the n-word being used. He heard it from other players, fans, and even his own teammates. "I don't believe in color," Clemente said. He felt that he was discriminated against, and thought he was treated unfairly. He had to battle against three kinds of discrimination: one based on the color of his skin, another on his ability to speak English, and third the cultural differences between Latin Americans and North Americans. He often said, "I don't want to be put down because I'm Puerto Rican."

In his early years, Clemente missed many games because of injuries, first to his back, then to his elbow. His drive was so fierce, that when he was hurt he could still get two or three hits a game. In his second year with the Pirates he batted .311 and the fans started appreciating the effect he had on the team. In 1954 the Pirates finished second place in the National League. In 1961 he won the national league batting title and in 1966 he won the MVP. In 1971 the Pirates began to win. They made the World Series and faced the amazing New York Yankees. The Pirates won 10-9 in the final game and Clemente won the MVP for the World Series. He was happy with his achievement, but he wanted to win it for the National League. He finished in eighth with votes for the N.L. MVP and was extremely upset. He expressed his anger by saying, "What does it take for a Latin Player to be truly recognized?" (During Clemente’s life he was never given full credit as a baseball player, because he was Latin.)

For Roberto Clemente, playing baseball was not his only life. He often went to visit and help kids at the Children's Hospital. He would always spend his time signing autographs for fans because he said, "They pay my salary and they work hard for what they earn." In Puerto Rico he would run clinics for poor kids and help out in youth programs. In 1972 Nicaragua was hit by a savage earthquake. Clemente ordered the relief efforts, working fourteen hours a day. He made plans to go to Nicaragua himself. Clemente’s son and father both had dreams that his plane would crash into the sea, but he said, "Babies are dying over there, they need supplies." Sadly, Roberto went on Dec. 31st to Nicaragua with supplies and never arrived. His plane crashed shortly after takeoff. People everywhere were stunned about Clemente’s death, and everyone mourned his death. To me, Clemente was so dedicated to helping others he never thought about himself. While making plans to go to Nicaragua he was so busy helping he forgot to open his Christmas gifts. This is the kind of dedication I am talking about. Although his life was cut short by a tragic accident, he still had time to make a major impact; in baseball, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, and all around the world.

Roberto Clemente - Official website
Stats
National Baseball Hall of Fame - Roberto Clemente was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1973.