ORGANIZER

Reading Hero Stories Using Curated Content From the MY HERO Library (Upper Elementary)

Celebrate the best of humanity as students develop their reading skills. Stories appropriate for younger readers, as well as stories with text and audio allowing students to listen as they read along.

The four stories below are each one paragraph in length.

Alexandra Scott

By: Julio Austin Torres

Terry Fox

By: Andy from British Columbia, Canada
Terry Fox a nation through his courage and tenacity.

Molly the Pony

By: Britney

Franko Fabbro

By: Dante Fabbro (since I am only 1 year old, my Nonna wrote the story of my her...

The stories below are multi-paragraphs.

Iqbal Masih

By: Stephanie and Audrey<br> from Forest Hills
Iqbal Masih was a brave advocate for child labor laws in Pakistan.

Viola Vaughn

By: Brande from Spokane
Viola Vaughn founded an organization that supports girls working to achieve academic success in Africa.

Armene Modi

By: Amanda Molinaro

Ruby Nell Bridges

By: Olivia from Glenbrook
"Racism is a grown-up disease. Let's stop using kids to spread it." ----Author Unknown

Stan Lee

By: Chase

Sergeant Stubby

By: Alexa B

Stories with Text and Audio: Allowing Students to Listen as They Read Along

Jeremy Glick

By: Emmy from Saddle River
Jeremy Glick was a hero of Flight 93 and Emmy's beloved father.

Dr. Seuss

By: Tina

Hannah Taylor

Hannah created the Ladybug Foundation to help end homelessness.

Austin Gutwein

By: Lindsey from Palmer, Massachusetts
Austin Gutwein founded Hoops of Hope.

The Dalai Lama

By: Davis from San Francisco
"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." The Dalai Lama

Milton S. Hershey

By: David from Montvale
Milton S. Hershey made a fortune through his love of chocolate.

Suggested Student Activities After Reading MY HERO Stories

After reading and listening to one of the stories, use a web organizer to write down facts about the hero you learning about or words that describe this hero. Then students use the graphic organizer to write a summary of the story read. 

Terry Fox

By: Emma from Calgary

Students read two stories, and use a Venn Diagram to compare the heroes, looking for similarities and differences. Students write a two paragraph compare/contrast essay using the notes from the Venn Diagram.

Two students read the same story, then do a Think, Pair Share. Each student writes down why this person is a hero and what they learned about him or her. Then the two students share with each other what they wrote and decide together what they want to share with the class about this hero. 

THINK

PAIR

SHARE

Find Additional Stories Celebrating the Best of Humanity

Stories

The main library of MY HERO stories is organized by categories. Here you will find curated stories submitted by people of all ages from around the world, as well as stories by professionals and staff members.

In addition, the stories library has curated Selected Stories in Multiple Languages and Stories Read Aloud, as well as helpful tutorials on creating and submitting your own hero story.

Organizer created on 7/7/2020 9:56:48 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 7/14/2020 1:30:11 PM by Laura Nietzer