My Hero: Roald Dahl by Galadhriel

Roald Dahl

by Galadhriel from cochrane, Alberta in Canada

“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”

- Roald Dahl

131329Roald Dahl webGaladhrielI like Roald Dahl’s books because they are funny and adventurous, and I wanted to know more about Roald Dahl’s childhood. I chose the book Boy because it tells me about Roald Dahl’s life. This is an autobiography about Roald Dahl’s childhood. The book is 177 pages long. Roald Dahl wrote this autobiography and at the start he talks about his grandfather who was born in 1820. He continues to write about his family, childhood and career covering the time from 1820-1939. This book was written and published in 1984 by Puffin books. Roald Dahl is Norwegian-British. He was a naughty and nice kid.

131330Roald DahlGaladhrielRoald Dahl was born in the village of Llandaff in South Wales. He also grew up in Llandaff South Wales. Roald Dahl is one of 7 children, he has one brother and 5 sisters. His father was married to two women’s the first women that his father was married to gave birth to two children and after giving birth to the second child she sadly passed away. The second women that he was married was Roald Dahl’s mother she gave birth to 5 children. He went to a school called Llandaff Cathedral. When Roald Dahl was not at school, he would ride his tricycle and if he had enough money after school, he and his friends would go to the candy store and buy candy. When Roald Dahl was about 8 or 9 years old, he and his friends found a mouse at school they decided to put the mouse in one of the jars at the candy shop, so they put the mouse in a jar of gobstoppers and soon the candy shop owner found out and she dropped the jar, the boys thought that she had a heart attack, and in the end all five of the boys got spanked on the bottom. He visited his grandparents during summer holidays in Norway where he would fish, swim and go on boat rides. On one of his Norway visits the doctor removed his adenoids without anesthetics. His mom influenced him to go to boarding school at St Peters from age 9 – 13 to try and save him from a strict headmaster. He was a mischievous boy.  After school he could decide to which university he wanted to go, but he was more interested in working for a company that would send him of to faraway places. He wanted to see and experience the world.

131332Roald DahlGaladhrielWhen Roald Dahl was between the ages 9-13 they got a new motor-car. On their first ride in the new car they went too fast and got into a car crash. They went straight into a bush, there was glass everywhere and nobody really got hurt except for Roald Dahl. His nose was almost cut from his face. His nose was held only by a piece of skin, so they had to rush to the doctor. The doctor said he would meet them at their house in a couple of minutes to stitch up the nose. To help the challenge, the doctor poured a white liquid down Roald Dahl's throat then Roald Dahl fell asleep, when Roald Dahl woke up his nose was sewn back on and almost nothing hurt. When Roald Dahl was little he would go to his grandma's house, his grandma always told him stories and that inspired Roald Dahl to write his own stories. His grandma inspired him because she told the best stories about all kinds of things. Roald Dahl was mischievous, kind and funny, this is one of the reasons that Roald Dahl was funny and mischievous, his oldest sister (stepsister) got a boyfriend and he almost always had a smoke pipe in his mouth so one day they went to this island with lots of goats and the sister and the man went swimming. The man left the pipe on the land with the tobacco that he smoked then Roald Dahl had a idea. He saw some goat droppings and picked up some of them and tipped out all of the tobacco and replaced it with the goats droppings then he put some of the tobacco on top, then the sister and the man got out of the water and the man started to smoke and a few minutes later the man went crazy and then he cooled of then the little sister said she knew what happened. She said that he was smoking goats tobacco. Roald Dahl was kind because he always helped his family. Roald Dahl did not have any human weaknesses. Roald Dahl had to leave his family to go to boarding school. Roald Dahl was really good at a really hard game so the headmaster made him the captain of that game.

Roald Dahl surprised me because he had so many sisters. He had four sisters, one stepbrother and one stepsister and if you add Roald Dahl his mom and his dad that equals nine people in the family! If I could meet Roald Dahl and ask him three questions I would ask these three questions: what was your favorite thing to do when you were a kid?, what was your favorite food? And: Who was your best friend in school? I would not want to be Roald Dahl’s child because I love my dad more. I like this book because it's an interesting book that tells people more about Roald Dahl’s interesting life. I have learned from this book that Roald Dahl worked at a Shell Oil company in Africa and that  he was an RAF fighter pilot in World War 2. Roald Dahl liked stories. I like stories so I want to become a writer just like him. Others would like to read this book because it’s a funny and interesting book. I am very happy that I choose Roald Dahl to learn about because his life is so interesting. I would consider Roald Dahl to look up to as a hero because he is brave, smart and kind.

The Official Roald Dahl Website - The Official Roald Dahl Website
Roald Dahl - Wikipedia - Roald Dahl - Wikipedia
Roald Dahl Fans.com - Fan site for author Roald Dahl (1916-1990) - Roald Dahl Fans.com - Fan site for author Roald Dahl (1916-1990)
Roald Dahl │Biography and books │Britannica.com - Roald Dahl │Biography and books │Britannica.com
Roald Dahl (Author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4273.Roald_Dahl