Roberto Clemente

by Angela Kay Ramos from San Diego, California in United States

"Any time you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this earth."

121103Roberto Clemente Playing with the Pirateshttps://www.biography.comAn arm with astounding strength, precise defensive skills, and superb hitting, were only some of the ways Roberto Clemente was able to put his supporters in awe. Within his short life, he was able to make a difference in a lot of people’s lives. Born on August 18, 1934, Roberto Clemente was an incredible role model both on and off the field when playing baseball. On the dirt, he was able to make a significant impact for Puerto Ricans around the world. He represented them, being one of the first and most influential Puerto Rican in Major League Baseball. He did this by not only his skills, but he also supported them in times of need. When he was notified about a devastating earthquake in Nicaragua, he quickly went into action to help the survivors. Sadly, he died in a plane crash on his way to transport goods on December 31, 1972. “For his generosity, leadership, outstanding athletic achievements, and heroism, Roberto Clemente was considered by Puerto Ricans to be a national hero to this day” (Roberto Walker Clemente). A hero has to be able to make a positive impact on society even though he does not have to. Clemente already influenced society by becoming a baseball player, but he used his fame to help others in need. Although his life as short, his legacy still lives. People were inspired by Clemente to help those in need. He was a hero both on and off the baseball diamond, and while he was a phenomenal player, he was able to put others before himself while inspiring others to make a change.

121105Roberto Clemente 's Plane Crash in Puerto Ricohttp://www.famously-dead.comRoberto Clemente did everything in his power to help those in need. According to Smithsonian, “Clemente accepted the honorary chairmanship of an earthquake relief committee and used local media to appeal for help[…]The relief team raised $150,000, and gathered and shipped nearly 26 tons of food, clothing and medicine by air and sea” (“Beyond Baseball”). When Nicaragua was struck by a destructive earthquake with a 6.3 magnitude, there were over 10,000 casualties with 20,000 injured. Roberto Clemente could have easily stepped aside from this devastation because of his baseball career, but he refused to. He used his fame to help advertise his campaign to raise money and collect donations to send to the survivors. Clemente put their needs before his and made an effort to make a change, until Clemente sadly died on his plane ride to help those who were affected. Although he lived a short life, his kind heartedness is still greatly appreciated by many. As the St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture notes,  “As he once observed, ‘Any time you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this earth’"("Roberto Clemente", St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture). Clemente used this quote to lead himself to become the man he grew up to be. He worked hard to be a phenomenal baseball player to inspire others who were not able to play because of their ethnicity. He was a role model for all of his fans on and off the baseball field. Roberto Clemente lived true by this quote for his entire lifetime. He was always trying to make a difference in the world, no matter how big or small of a difference it may seem. He was always actively involved in society, playing baseball, representing Latin American baseball players, and continuously doing his best to help those around him.

121110Roberto Clemente with His Wife, Verahttps://www.pghcitypaper.comRoberto Clemente was able to inspire others to do great things in memory of him after his death. After Roberto Clemente’s plane crash, many of his supporters still continued his goals in trying to better the world. According to Smithsonian, “[...]under the direction of his wife Vera and son Luis Roberto—provides a wide array of programs true to Clemente’s dreams. It features a baseball stadium, practice fields, a swimming pool with an accessible entrance, and a fully equipped gymnasium” (“Beyond Baseball”). Clemente’s wife was inspired by her husband’s dreams, but he wasn’t able to complete them. Because of this, Mrs. Clemente continued his goals to better the community. While Roberto Clemente lived a short life, his legacy still lives. She continued his dream of constructing a sports center for the less fortunate to teach kids the virtues of hard work and personal integrity for a successful future. He has inspired others in his spirit. But Clemente did not only inspire his wife, he also inspired many others. For example, the St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture states,  “Clemente inspired thousands of Latino and other ballplayers[...] ‘Clemente is a great hero for all Latin players,’ added Juan Gonzalez, a peer of Williams and a fellow Puerto Rican. ‘Not only was he one of the best baseball players ever, but he was a great human being as well’"  ("Roberto Clemente" St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture). Juan Gonzalez was a Puerto Rican who was a friend of one of Clemente’s teammates, he watched him excel on the field while sharing his astounding character to his fans. Clemente was an inspiring role model to numerous Latin American players, both as a baseball player and as a person. He preached good attitude and hard work to achieve success. Clemente’s determination to reach his goals impacted many of his supporters, which displayed him as a true hero.

121119Roberto Clemente Playing for the Pirateshttp://www.famously-dead.comBeing the great ball player he was, Roberto Clemente helped others in need while inspiring others to do the same. He was able to take charge and help the people who were affected by the Nicaragua earthquake. Although he died while transporting supplies, his kindness inspired many of his fans to be the change they wished to see. Clemente was a role model for many, being a great person with honor and respect on the baseball field, while being involved in the problems worldwide. He put others before him, doing everything in his power to make things better. Clemente was a true hero to Latin Americans, baseball players, and to all of his fans.

Beyond Baseball: The Life of Roberto Clemente, www.robertoclemente.si.edu/english/virtual_story.htm.

"Roberto Clemente." St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture, Gale, 2013. Student Resources in Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2419200231/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=9ee370cb  Accessed 5 Feb. 2018.

"Roberto Walker Clemente." Hispanic American Almanac: A Reference Work on Hispanics in the United States, edited by Sonia Benson, 3rd ed., Gale, 2003. Student Resources in Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/EJ2128101175/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=1717e94f.  Accessed 1 Feb. 2018.

"Roberto Clemente." - A Biography about Roberto Clemente.
Beyond Baseball: The Life of Roberto Clemente - A Timeline of Roberto Clemente
"Roberto Clemente" - Roberto Clemente and his Plane Crash and How he Inspired Puerto Ricans