Robin Roberts

by Genevie Abuan from San Diego , California in United States

“Life provides losses and heartbreak for all of us-but the greatest tragedy is to have the experience and miss the meaning.” 
― Robin RobertsEverybody's Got Something

125206Robin Roberts honored with Author Ashe Courage award NY Daily News Malala Yousafzai, Rosa Parks, and Phillis Wheatley. What do all of these women have in common? They all are inspiring women, who taught others to become more than just who people say they are because of their gender, skin tone, or personality. This can be also seen by Robin Roberts, a news reporter who became the first dark skinned woman to report sports news, made a goal for herself that there would be change for women, by finding her voice to speak out because of how she was treated for being a woman. Robin was a former ESPN reporter, who is now a news reporter on Good Morning America. Ever since she was young, she wanted to be a sports news anchor because of her love for sports and was inspired by her sister, Sally-Ann who was a news anchor. After the years that she has on GMA, she had to do a segment that she never thought she would be doing. The segment was on Hurricane Katrina, that happened in her hometown which was very emotional for her and all the viewers watching the news, but is was able to bring more volunteers to help the town and the hurricane survivors. On the other hand, her act of strength and caring shined through when it came to anyone struggling or in trouble. Robin Roberts, the inspirational news reporter that encourages women not to listen to society, but to themselves, is truly a hero for her perseverance for never giving up on the challenges that she had to face and taking time to truly listen to the mentors that helped her become who she is now. Along with her caring and fealess acts shown throughout her life.

125143Robin Roberts and Sally-Ann her sister Extra Robin Roberts is known for her fearless acts of being a voice for women’s rights and helping others in times of need. This was expressed through her years of doing sports and interest in news reporting. When she started reporting news on ESPN, she was being treated differently because she is a woman: “...he launched into a tirade into about women had to ruin everything, and why did we have to get into sports, anyway, and on and on” (“Robin Roberts”, From the Heart: Eight Rules to live By).  She was able to bring women together to fight this problem with help from Lisa Olson who is also a sports newscaster: “ It takes a generation to break down the walls of bias that are ingrained in the culture. Thanks to ESPN and other pioneers in promoting women sportscasters and reporters, we’ve come a long way” (“Robin Roberts”, From the Heart: Eight Rules to live By). After all of the controversy of women being in the sports business, Robin was able to break that stereotype and was able to give more opportunities for women to get a job in businesses that are not common to women. The way how Robin was willing to make that change for women around showed her compassion for equality for women, not just for sports, but for other jobs. In addition, if someone was in Robin’s situation they would have just given up and would go for a new job, but not for Robin. She would do anything until equality is accomplished. Robin is a deserving hero because of her determination to stop letting women be treated this way for their gender or skin tone to get a job that they want. When Hurricane Katrina hit Robin’s hometown, it was very devastating to her: “Sarah reached out a hand, “Robin,” she said, “you can do more good for your family from the outside. Think about how many people watch our show every morning. You can get the word out.”... I have lost my bearings for a moment. I needed to focus on the solution not the problem…”(“Robin Roberts”, From the Heart:Eight Rules to live By ). Robin didn’t want to leave her family, but she knew that the solution was to bring awareness to the damage Hurricane Katrina made, but to show how the community come together to help one another. Robin used her opportunity as a news reporter to do an insight on Hurricane Katrina which revealed humility for others especially for the people that live in her hometown. If it wasn’t for Sarah, Robin would not have gotten the idea for the segment on hurricane Katrina. Robin shows heroic action by going to her hometown and seeing the disaster that the hurricane did. It can very hard to see something you love destroyed, but turning the problem into a solution is very strong. Through those hardships of society that Robin had to faces, she would not have done it if it wasn’t for her family by her side, to keep her going. Like what Robin said, “ giving up is not an answer in the Roberts house”(“Robin Roberts”, Contemporary Black Biography).

125216Robin Roberts on ESPN for the first time Sports Video Group As a news reporter, Robin is well known for her acts of caring and honesty through her taking time to truly listen to people. This is portrayed through Robin explaining about how she wasn’t able to accomplish her dream if it wasn’t for her family lessons that were given to her to live by and keep moving forward, “Roberts racked up a significant roll-call of firsts: first black anchorwoman on ESPN; first black female host of Wide World of Sports; first female host of an NFL pregame show, among others. "I'm very proud to be the first African-American woman, and I'm not going to make any excuses for that… ” (Robin Roberts”, Inspired by Talented Family Members). She was able to grab the lesson that she learned and is able to teach those lessons through news reporting and her book. “ Faith and Family- they’re foundation in good times and bad… developed in me as a result of positive experience and teachings” (“Robin Roberts”, From the Heart:Eight Rules to Live By). Robin applied the lesson of keep moving forward from her family which helped her achieve the goals the she never thought she would be able to accomplish. Her determination to pass the challenges in her life shows how much confidence she has in herself and her family to reach for the stars. People would usually lose their confidence with challenges and just give up, but not Robin, because she would find a way around the situation and find the solution. Robin is a deserving hero because of her acts of encouragement towards her goal and how she is able to reach that goal without tempted to give up. On the other hand, Robin did have a challenge that she couldn’t get past or get off her chest until she felt confident with herself and her ability to take on this challenge, coming out to her family and the country: “Roberts officially came out as a gay woman on Good Morning America. She hadn't publicly discussed her sexual orientation prior to this announcement” (“Robin Roberts”, Biograph.com ). Robin knew that it was hard at first to come out of the closet to her family  because they are strong in their faith, but in the Roberts family, family is very important and they should always stick together no matter what happens. Today it is still hard to come out but Robin did the unthinkable thing and came out on TV. What Robin did expresses her bravery and confidence because if someone wasn’t in Robin’s shoes, they would not have done that. She is a hero because she took on a risk that was difficult to pass, but she was able to pull through and reached that high point in her life that she would never forget. Society today, many people are nervous about being judged or made fun of, but not Robin. She has the confidence and bravery that will help her live everyday in life because she believes in herself. Robin doesn’t listen to the bad, but only the good because she knows herself the most, therefore she has confidence in herself that she is able to do it.

125124Robin Roberts Twitter An ordinary news reporter Robin Roberts, who became a hero, from her selfless acts of perseverance and determination, inspires women around the world to not give up, but to try and try again. Her personality encourages many to just be themselves and not to listen to people who bring them down or tell them how to live their lives. Taking risks and challenges is what Robin did. With her family by her side, she was able to reach her goal and still be her without changing who she is inside. “She was also one of the first female reporters to contribute significantly to draft-day coverage for football and basketball, and she was the first regular female play-by-play announcer for men's college basketball games” (“ Robin Roberts” Contemporary Black Biography). This quote shows inspiration because Robin was one of the first women sports reporters. She is also the first dark skinned women because there was still tension between the whites and dark skinned people back then. Robin never listened to the people who were judging her because look at her now, she is a figure for women all around the world who are probably dealing with a situation that she went through. Challenges can be difficult to get through sometimes, but with confidence and determination the challenge will become a pathway that you can cross. Like what Robin said, “Focus on the solution not the problem” (Roberts).

Work Cited 

“Robin Roberts.” Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 21 Aug. 2014, www.biography.com/people/robin-roberts-21188247.

“Robin Roberts” Biography - Inspired by Talented Family Members, Pursued Sports Broadcasting as a Career, Joined ESPN.” University, London, York, and Heinemann - JRank Articles, biography.jrank.org/pages/2878/Roberts-Robin.html.

"Robin Roberts." Contemporary Black Biography, vol. 54, Gale, 2006. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1606003268/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=224c058e. Accessed 11 May 2018.

Roberts, Robin . From the Heart: Eight Rules to Live By. MJF Books, 2008.

Robin Roberts biography - About Robin Roberts
Articles on Robin Roberts - Robin Roberts articles
Robin Roberts achievements - Robin Roberts's path of awards