Jackie Roosevelt Robinson

by Lane from Jasper, Texas

Jackie Robinson (www.baseballhalloffame.org)

Jackie Robinson is a perfect illustration of a hero. Making a scene in 1947, he broke the race barrier by breaking into the Major League. He immediately became a top player and changed America. His team, the Dodgers, won six out of 10 pennants. He stole home 19 times in his career, something that is almost impossible today. Jackie won National League MVP in 1949. He stole 37 bases, and had a batting average of .342, while knocking in 124 home runs.

Jackie was born in Cairo, Georgia. He lived there for about half a year, before his father left his mother and their five children. He was the youngest of the five. Life was hard for them because they were black, but Jackie ignored peoples’ racism. Jackie left to go to the army, so he could pay for college. When he finally made it to college, he played football, basketball, and of course, baseball. He then played for a poor team out of Kansas City called the Monarchs. After the Monarchs, Branch Rickey helped him sign into the majors as a Brooklyn Dodger. He was booed, thrown at, and discriminated by the people all over the world. But Jackie was not affected by the racism. Matter of fact, he evidently took out the pain by showing everyone his amazing skills on the field.

Jackie Robinson Stamp (www.aol.com)
Jackie Robinson Stamp (www.aol.com)

Jackie Robinson made his Major League debut on April 15, 1947. He played for the Kansas City Monarchs for only one season in 1945 before going to San Diego. Robinson stayed with the Dodgers (his primary team) from 1947 to 1956. Robinson retired from baseball from the Dodgers. The Baseball Writers elected him into the Hall of Fame in 1962. He got 124 of 160 ballots (77.5%).

Along with the Hall of Fame induction, Jackie made a lot of hard-to-believe accomplishments. He went to the Major League Baseball World Series in 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, and in 1956. He also played in the All-Star game 6 times, was the Rookie of the Year in 1947, and as I said earlier, he was named National League MVP (most valuable player) in 1949.

Jackie as a Hall of Famer (unknown)
Jackie as a Hall of Famer (unknown)

Jackie Roosevelt Robinson died in 1972 in Stamford, Connectitcut, at the age of 53. Jackie was an excellent right-handed second baseman for all 9 years he was in the majors. He was an even better role model, and he still is today.

Hall of Fame - Jackie's Hall of Fame Induction
White House - A kid site
Jackie Robinson - Jackie's Home site
Black History - A Black History Site
Wikipedia - A web-page about J.R.