Jack Roosevelt Robinson

by matt

Jackie Is My Hero
Jackie Robinson
Jackie Robinson

Jack Roosevelt Robinson was one of the most talented baseball players ever.

Jackie Robinson was born in Cairo, Georgia, on January 31, 1919. His life wasn’t easy being one of four children in his family. His brothers were: Edgar, Frank, Mack, and Willa Mae was his mother. Jackie didn't have a dad but did have a supportive and loving mother, which kept his spirits high. He went to college in 1946 and played in the minor leagues with other black males.

In 1942 he was drafted in the Army and served on bases in Kansas and Texas. When he was their boxer, Joe Louis and Jackie made an Officer Candidate school for the majority of Afro- American soldiers at base camp. He was put trough hell because of the color of his skin. One of these instances was when he was told to go to the back of the bus but refused and was sent to court for this. He was not charged for this mishap. He left with honorable discharge and later on became a part of the Negro League Kansas City Monarchs, who were the best at the time.

After four years in college he married Rachel Issum on Feb. 10, 1946, a nursing student he met at UCLA after being the first student to letter in four sports (baseball, basketball, track, and football. He was kicked out because of financial crises. He played in the Minor Leagues in 1946. Jackie Robinson’s carrier as the first Afro-American major league player took off when he was signed into the Organized Baseball League by Branch Rickey of the Kansas City Monarchs. He was voted the National League Rookie of the Year with 12 homers, a league-leading 29 steals, and an average of .297. Throughout his carrier he was taunted for the color of his skin. He was even threatened and told to leave the Majors or he and his family's life would be in peril. Aside for his drive and love for the game, nothing mattered to him except for his family.

October 15, 1972 was a sad day for many people. That day will be remembered forever. Jackie lived a painful but accomplished life. He became the first Afro-American to play in the Major League. He went from being part of a poor family, to the first to letter in four sports in college, to being the first black man to play ball and to being inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1956.